ad: Schulman-1

New rig from LZ2JR:

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AE5X, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML and N1OOQ like this.
  2. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

This coming new CW/SSB all HF bands transceiver is the “golden classic” architecture of 9MHz IF superhet with good filtered front-end and proper roofing crystal IF filters.
    It is using PHEMT LNA, high dynamic range H-mode mixer, 8+4 poles xtal filters etc.
    Full, fast and absolute quiet QSK with proper timing is devoted to all CW enthusiasts.
    It looks like great era of famous TenTec tcvrs is coming back [​IMG]

http://lz2jr.com/blog/
    https://groups.io/g/RGO-ONE
    https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=14445

Experiences with RGO ONE in CQWW, CW by John, AE5X:
    https://ae5x.blogspot.com/2019/11/cqww-cw-with-rgo-one.html
    Some pics of my new arrived RGO ONE are uploaded in groups.io here:
    https://groups.io/g/RGO-ONE/album?id=223623

And one more think... I like very much the sentences posted by KW6LA:
    "I do like the old style controls. RGO ONE looks like a radio, not a garage door opener!"

73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML likes this.
  3. OK1RP

Hi all,

last evening I found the chance to bring my new RGO ONE to our contest station in order to make first short test on the air.

I have to say that I am impressed how the receiver is quiet. Compare to other radios and mainly SDR architecture radios the RGO ONE
    receiver has smooth and low noise. The VBF is very effective and nice feature for close in signals.

I had only short time yesterday evening so I tested it quickly on 40m then 80m band. As I found the pile-up for T6AA on 80m I had chance also to testing the RIT/XIT features etc. It is easy to manage and operate the RIT/XIT on RGO ONE.

Big surprise came after switching to 40m where that nite was hearable OTHR intruder at around 7005kHz. I tried to switch antenna to our
    contesting Icom IC-756PROIII quickly to found that OTHR occupied most of the CW portion in 40m band with over S9+20dB wideband mess. Even with 500Hz filter on Icom I was not able to hear any signals on 40m CW band as 30kHz far from the center I still had S8 wideband noise.
    After switching to RGO ONE the surprise happened. Of course the OTHR blasted to S9+30dB at 7005kHz and covered wide portion of CW band but when I switched the VBF ON and reduced it down to 200Hz then I noticed that when I tuned up over the 7015kHz the wideband mess gone and I was able to operate and make QSO without any problem or QRM. Amazing!

I did not make video unfortunately as my phone battery lasted exactly at that time when I need it... but I make QSO 15kHz away from the OTHR intruder with VBF set to 300Hz and I was not disturbed at all...

I had no more time to test it yesterday evening so more tests will come later.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML and VU2VIZ like this.
  4. OK1RP

Hi all,

after posting few info about I got several emails requesting more details about the new transceiver RGO ONE coming on the market…
    I compiled all detailed info to the three parts articles here:
    http://ok1rp.blogspot.com

73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML, K8ZFJ, VU2VIZ and 1 other person like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a fancy TenTec Century 22. I like it!

M1WML, K9UR and N2EY like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Simply my opinion, but it looks like a rig from the 70s or 80s and for about the same price you can buy an IC 7300.
    This would have been an interesting rig about 25 years ago!

M1WML, K9UR, VU2VIZ and 1 other person like this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

At half the power, no 6M, 160/60 extra cost, several other options, and limited filter choices......such a deal....but sure to attract sufficient buyers as it gets more developed.

It might be an excellent choice to drive VHF and up transverters.

Face it, SDR is here to stay.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  8. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah - I saw the picture and thought "is that it?".

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$875 (US dollars). 160/60 and ATU extra, but probably not too bad.

The only downside I see is: only 50 watts.

I don't think the parts to build it were available 25 years ago.

As for the IC-7300....how well does it perform in a multi-multi environment, or a QRP/battery environment?

M1WML likes this.
  10. N2EY

The first thing I thought of was the TT Argosy 525D.

At $825 US, it's actually less expensive than the Argosy was, when you adjust for inflation.

11. N2EY

Thank you Petr - answers a lot of questions.

M1WML likes this.
  12. OK1RP

Hi
    My experiences with VBF on new RGO ONE on CW

Petr

M1WML likes this.
  13. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice looking radio there.
    Particular feature I noted: front panel POWER OUTput control, very nice control to have, and conspicuously absent from a lot of modern radios in that price range.
    Will they offer a 100 watt version soon ?

M1WML likes this.
  14. OK1RP

M1WML likes this.
  15. OK1RP

Hi all,

as you know the optional module of ATU is under finishing and the f/w code under tweaking for the RGO ONE.
    One of the hardest point of the ATU performance - the very low impedance matching has been successfully tested on the beta test piece of RGO.

Look over here:

The antenna in use was an 80m band dipole. Tested band was 160m.
    The ATU f/w code is still under tweaking and hardware is in beta testing to be sure that all will perform excellently in RGO ONE finally.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

M1WML likes this.