ad: elecraft

RF-Seismograph: White Island Eruption causes worldwide Radio Blackout

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Maybe there is VLF activity before eruptions and maybe it just randomly shows up.

AH7I, KX4O, W0BTU and 6 others like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. W4HM

In what manner was the ionosphere blacked out by the earthquake?

Shortwave blackouts (sudden ionospheric disturbances) are caused by lot's of x-rays released by the sun in a solar flare. It takes approximately 8 minutes to arrive at earth.

Also a few days later if released by the solar flare energetic protons cause high latitude signal black outs (polar cap absorption) and electrons stoke up the visible aurora and low latitude ring current.

W0BTU likes this.
  4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest you read the research on their website for the RF Seismograph. They explain it quite well. What you describe is how the sun blacks out shortwave. There are other mechanisms, evidently.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. W4HM

I've perused their web page many times. There are no forces or mechanisms in our planet that can cause a radio blackout of RF signals in the ionosphere.

This idea gets dug back up every few months here on QRZ. Claims are made that have no basis in scientific fact. At best it's pseudoscience.

W0BTU, N4DJT and N0TZU like this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not up on the theory here.... but I can think of at least one possible mechanism off hand: piezo-electric generation. Maybe the changes in pressure on the quartz sand grains generates a piezo-electric effect, similar to the way a piece of quartz acts if you tap it with a hammer in a dark room. IF that occurs, and it's strong enough, I could see it having an effect.

I'm not saying that it could cause a black-out, but I could see it causing a disturbance.

MW1CFN likes this.
  7. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

What exactly is....or how do you define a radio blackout? Is the lack of skip, bounce, mean a blackout?

Or does it mean the atmosphere and space......does not propagate waves? And it's real quiet? i.e.....something in air or space that absorbs EM.

Or does it mean that by some mechanism, many more natural emitters are active and the noise is too great.......and the blackout is caused by too much emission.

All of these would have different dynamics.

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ugh, more fake news on QRZ. There was no "worldwide radio blackout". How does QRZ allow this stuff to be posted as "news"?

W4QBQ, N4DJT and KC9YGN like this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

AG5DB, KA0HCP and N0TZU like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Their premise and methods are voodoo science. We have gone over this repeatedly with this ham. Real scientists have looked for an association and found none. Paper citations have been provided.

There was no blackout in this case or any of the others he has claimed. Proof: Has QRZed or any ham board or DX boards been flooded with reports of dead air for hours??? No.

N0TZU likes this.
  11. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is poor science. Not necessarily wrong, but repeatedly fails to present proper evidence. Correlation is not necessarily evidence of causation.

How many other things happened in that period? I crossed the road. A plane exceeded the sound barrier. A rocket took off. There is no evidence of any effort to discount other causes, if indeed there was anything 'caused'.

VE7DXW and N4UP like this.
  12. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    G3ZPF, WD4ELG, KX4O and 4 others like this.
  13. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm absolutely not in a position to argue the science. Nor, and I can't stress this enough, do I want to. So... I'm out.

WR2E likes this.
  14. KC9EE

KC9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I did experience a radio blackout during that time. I hope I didn't somehow cause the eruption when I turned my radio off.

N4GST, W4QBQ, N4UP and 3 others like this.
  15. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd better lawyer up.

:rolleyes:

KV4MO, WD4ELG and KX4O like this.