ad: k1jek

RF-Seismograph: White Island Eruption causes worldwide Radio Blackout

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everone;

The White Island erruption was detected by the RF-Seismograph here in the Pacific Norht West! The recorded data shows quite clealy that there was also a precursor to the erruption of more than 2 h. After the eruption the ionosphere stayed disturbed and created a radio blackout for more than 4 h!

[​IMG]

If you want to receive these earthquakes reports on a regular bases please join the MDSR.io group. Please feel free to forward this message to third parties.

All the best and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW

Attached Files:

VK5OHR, K7YB, N4GST and 4 others like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the RF seismograph was sensitive to earthquakes? There was no significant earthquake associated with this eruption. The next day (30 minutes ago, as I'm writing) there was a 5.1 magnitude quake a fair distance away in NZ, but then again, there were 16 other earthquakes today of magnitude 4.5 or greater worldwide out of today's 44 quakes listed by the USGS. (Their list doesn't go low enough in magnitude to list the volcanic eruption)

The volcano eruption made the news, because of the terrible tragedy. But in terms of earth movement, it was tiny. How many of today's larger events did the RF seismograph detect?

N1GKE, N0TZU, AG5DB and 2 others like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please stop confusing us with facts!

5. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well ya know what they say.........facts is stranger than truth!
    And no ........ I don't know who "they" is.

6. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are always earthquakes preceeding an eruption... that's what causes the eruption.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, no that can't be stated as universally true. [Actually the opposite is true!]

Oregon State Univ. Geology:
    Most earthquakes directly beneath a volcano are caused by the movement of magma. The magma exerts pressure on the rocks until it cracks the rock. Then the magma squirts into the crack and starts building pressure again. Every time the rock cracks it makes a small earthquake. These earthquakes are usually too weak to be felt but can be detected and recorded by sensitive instruments.

Once the plumbing system of the volcano is open and magma is flowing through it, constant earthquake waves, called harmonic tremor, are recorded (but not felt).The distribution of earthquakes provides information about magma pathways and the structure of volcanoes.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    N1GKE likes this.
  8. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So how many radio blackouts are there in a typical month?

N0TZU likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't notice ANY radio blackout. Just the usual baseline, horrible conditions.

NK9Y, W7XLR, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I did notice an increase in background noise on 12/8 around 5pm CST (~0:00 UTC) while doing a RA (solar noise) experiment, that lasted several hours. It was not a dramatic blackout, but it was broadbanded. Of course I have no way to determine the source, but the duration appears to roughly correlate with the time on the graph. +- an hour or so.

I'll look at my numbers and see if I can determine IF it does correlate, of it it is a coincidence, or whatever....

11. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had my receivers on before, during and after the eruption and I never noticed a blackout either.

12. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes... it was indeed tragic. My heart goes out to the families of those killed, and to those who were burned in the eruption.

N4GST likes this.
  13. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm right... magma movement is not an eruption. Magma movement causes the rock to crack. The cracking rock is the earthquake and the resultant opening, caused by the earthquake (caused by the magma movement) results in an eruption. We might be splitting hairs on the actual language but the point is there is always a movement of rock prior to the eruption.

14. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe you're correct on that point. My point was that the earthquake which accompanies an eruption is not always of a magnitude that would stand out against the background of all of the many earthquakes detected daily around the globe.

For that matter, the recent New Zealand eruption didn't really stand out among the approximately 70 volcanic eruptions in 2019, about 45 of which are still currently ongoing.

It does stand out because of the human tragedy, of course.

15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Among the many reports I got of seismic/RF activity was one from a researcher who was also a ham, that happened to be at Mt. St. Helens prior to it's big eruption. He reported a VLF signal of tremendous intensity the night prior to the big eruption. So, yes, RF precursors and effects do happen with eruptions, too. There are periodic reports of magma moving underground in the vicinity of Mammoth Lakes in California - I wonder if there might be observable effects?

KK4NSF likes this.