ad: Schulman-1

Hamvention Price Announcement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W8HJR, Dec 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8HJR

W8HJR Ham Member QRZ Page

A Message from Hamvention 2020 Management

Hamvention has always strived to produce a very high-quality event for Amateur Radio enthusiasts from around the globe. We have always felt it is imperative that we give back to Amateur Radio at many levels. We have been very generous in our support over the years.

Unfortunately, due to the economic pressures to present a show like Hamvention we find it necessary to make a modest increase in both our ticket prices and booth prices. Our general admission ticket price will increase $4 per ticket, flea market spots are going up $5 per space, and inside exhibitor booths are going up $30 per booth.

The Hamvention Executive Team is asking for your support and understanding as we move forward together. Jack Gerbs, WB8SCT, Hamvention® General Chairman

2. KJ4PR

KJ4PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Still too cheap

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It will cut down on the cheap hams and freeloaders, good riddance, and make it more enjoyable.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I guess they shouldn't have had the free Sunday last year.
    They would had enough money in the tickets even with low attendance on Sunday so there would nt have to increase the price for the rest of us!

A lot of us were betting that would happen with the free Sunday.

5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! I resemble that remark...

Dan WQ4G

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And a lot of the petty thieves in that crowd which were often in wheelchairs

7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I'm not in a wheel chair yet...

Imagine some guy in a wheel chair with a R390 strapped across the arms of the chair and rolling towards the gate as fast as he can trying to make his get away.

WQ4G

8. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To put the ticket pricing in perspective,
    " . . . Hamvention General Chair Jack Gerbs, WB8SCT, announced this week that general admission would rise by $4 per ticket to $26 in advance or $31 at the gate for all 3 days . . ."

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How am I supposed to afford a Elecraft K4 + KPA-1500 combo with these $4 price increases!??!?

WJ4U and K0UO like this.
  10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, that trash element of the hobby would scoop small items off a display table into a bag hidden under a blanket across his lap.

I have a few good stories of my own and others experience with that garbage after a few decades of selling so I wont post it here for the Trolls to get wound up.

Carl

K0UO likes this.
  11. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A suggestion:

Please post a history of ticket prices, showing the actual ticket prices and the adjusted-for-inflation prices. The Westegg Inflation Calculator is easy to use:

https://westegg.com/inflation/

This will show how well ticket prices have tracked with the general costs of living.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

12. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw the picture of your shack. You're good. I'm happy to help you with the wine tasting . . . so will 30 of my closest friends. :)

K1SZO likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously the price increase is being jacked up by the economy/ great job market....the temp hires (not the volunteers) are undoubtedly charging more; the xenia fairgrounds is probably charging more; yadayadayada.

Everyone is being sarcastic because its such an amazing bargain, still, even with the trivial price increase.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you can couched this as a 'carry-over', so even if they charged on Sunday 2019 it would be irrelevant to 2020.

I suspect that Xenia (who owns the fairgrounds) discounted the first 3 years, to host the event, and now they are jacking up the price.

My speculation--I am not privy to the drivers.

15. K2HVE

K2HVE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your Killing us!!!! LOL