ad: Radclub22-1

Modernizing amateur rigs with a Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators.
    Each of us has a different idea about what the "ultimate" raspberry pi build would be or look like for our own stations. In this video, I'll guide you through all the hardware, mods, add-ons, hats, and software used to make this "my" ultimate rasberry pi powered station,. Its designed around ham radio data modes at home, and in the field.

Julian oh8stn

KE8FWJ, HB9AIS and KX4O like this.
  3. K0DHO

K0DHO Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent, excellent, excellent instructional video. Thank you sir

4. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done for promoting this wonderful computer!

I use my Pi box in the car, where it is usually run off a USB battery (less RFI!), and lasts for hours, even with a 7" screen attached. Obviously, they are a very good choice for any field/portable/mobile operations, and are more than 'man' enough for digital software work.

Just make sure you get enough good quality ferrites for all your cables, because the Pi does generate quite significant RFI without them, or with the wrong ferrites.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  5. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. WP4JBG

WP4JBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome video, this video gives me hope to set up my Pi!

7. AE0ME

AE0ME Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your videos, Julian. I've already been working with Raspberry Pis, and also the Yaesu FT-891. I built an 18 ah LiFePO4 battery pack from your video, and so far I'm very happy with it. Albeit I haven't had it in direct use long enough to even have to charge it yet, but I was able to go out and operate for 3-4 hours on it from a park shelter. You find and share some good resources! It is appreciated.

W9OOO likes this.
  8. WB4OZM

WB4OZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would like to know what are the correct ferrites you use for your RsPi?
    Thx
    David-

9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi David. This is what I wrote some months ago:

https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2019/09/tackling-usb-rfi.html

USB isolators are also worth experimenting with. They usually work fine with mice and keyboards and the like, but often don't with soundcard interfaces, where there is usually a synchronisation issue, even when they're set to high speed.

10. ZS6AKW

ZS6AKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done Julian, always watch you channel, very informative, nicely done sir 73

11. WX7LL

WX7LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well done, but too much alphabet soup and jargon for a beginner. Where can I get a tutorial that starts out "This is a Raspberry Pi" and assumes I know little or nothing about it?

2E0TWD likes this.
  12. KC1LPT

KC1LPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian for a wonderful video.. Again!!

13. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

For KD9KJE, YouTube is your friend. You can learn as much as you need/want.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

KK4HPY likes this.
  14. 9G5ZS

9G5ZS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great effort Julian. Video was a bit fast for me and suffering from information overload now Hi HI.
    Nevertheless excellent video. you must have spend so much time in editting and composing the whole video.
    Wonder what software you use. Keep on going we are listening!

15. AA3SO

AA3SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job!