ad: elecraft

GOBBLE.......GOBBLE...........GOBBLE......

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1LKP, Nov 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanksgiving (United States)

Thanksgiving is a federal holiday in the United States, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. It originated as a harvest festival. Thanksgiving has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, with a proclamation by George Washington after a request by Congress. Thomas Jefferson chose not to observe the holiday, and its celebration was intermittent until the presidency of Abraham Lincoln, when Thanksgiving became a federal holiday in 1863, during the American Civil War. Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the date was changed between 1939 and 1941 amid significant controversy. From 1942 onwards, Thanksgiving has been proclaimed by Congress as being on the fourth Thursday in November. Thanksgiving is regarded as being the beginning of the fall–winter holiday season, along with Christmas and the New Year, in American culture.

The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in October 1621. This feast lasted three days, and—as accounted by attendee Edward Winslow—it was attended by 90 Native Americans and 53 Pilgrims. The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating "thanksgivings"—days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought.

THANKSGIVING FOR QRZ FRIENDS.jpg

====== thanksgiving day card.gif

KK7AMB and KQ7D like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know about you but I like my Hams spiral sliced!

KD8DEY and K1LKP like this.
  3. KQ7D

KQ7D Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Carmen! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

K1LKP likes this.
  4. K1LKP

NATE THEY ARE THE BEST.jpg

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Happy Thanksgiving, Carmen :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  6. K1LKP

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I really don't think Mr. Tom Turkey really was the one giving the advice on how best to cook and eat one of his own kind.... ;):D

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP likes this.
  8. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are proud to serve.haha

K1LKP likes this.
  9. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I am thankful for every morning I wake up.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KD8DEY, W9RLG and K1LKP like this.
  10. K1LKP

====GOBBLE....GOBBLE...GOBBLE...
    TURKEY AND PILGRIM BIG.gif

11. K1LKP

EAT BEEF.jpg
    ================ animated-laughing-image- mouse.gif

12. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Doing a Ham myself this year..
    Does that make me a Cannibal?

13. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

If Benjamin Franklin Had hes way, and the Turkey had become the National symbol, does that mean we would be fixing Baked Eagle?

14. K1LKP

happy-thanksgiving-animated-2018.gif
    ======== happy-tks table.gif