ad: Sussex-1

HR2.0 - Operating FT8 in Costa Rica Remotely from Texas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In this episode I use WSJT-X and SmartSDR connected via a FlexRadio SmartLink account that is tied to a radio we left in Costa Rica with a 20M dipole in the air. The transmitting antenna is at our DXpedition location, so we can remote into the radio and work DX as if we were there, through FlexRadio's easy-to-use remote control features. Check out some of the contacts I make on FT8 from a transmitting antenna in Costa Rica, while sitting at home in Texas

IW4EKO, K9JN, F4VSE and 9 others like this.
  2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was my FT8 contact with you on 11-7 via Costa Rica? The grid square I received was EM12, which I assume is your home location due to the Texas state flag behind you in your video, so I had no idea!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    KG4BFR, KK4HPY and K8JHR like this.
  3. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jason, sorry i didn't watch all of the video as i have goldfish syndrome and get bored after 6 seconds (tbh 14 mins was waaaaay too long for me); anyhow i was curious as to which callsign you would be using so i carefully paused the video at 5.14 or thereabouts and saw your callsign in the WSJT-X screen :confused: ....my 1st blonde moment so please forgive me; shouldn't the "callsign" be the "station" ( i assume you have one when in Costa Rica and i assume it should also be different from your Texas callsign) that the signal is transmitting from ?????

2nd blonde moment; isn't FT8 a low power/weak signal mode ????? ....80Watts isn't low power in my eyes :rolleyes: ....kind of urinates on the little man (i.e. me) who is doing his/her best at say 10 W or less.

I tried remote (outside sat in my car to upstairs (my shack)) once or twice and after getting bored (goldfish syndrome strikes again) i gave up on it; whilst it worked just fine on my Flex setup it didn't suit my needs/requirements and i kinda looked at it as CHEATING. As i see it if i'm in my car i'm "stroke-mobile", if i'm out walking with my handie-talkie then i'm "stroke-portable" and if i'm ever gonna go on someones yaught then i'd be "stroke-maritime moblie"...you get the picture.

So my 3rd blonde moment (ok ok so it's more of a rant lol) is....what's the point/purpose ???? especially if the "callsign" doesn't change to reflect that your NOT actually at your "station" ....seems like a bit of a con to me.....i'd love to stick a "remote" setup say near the top of a mountain, get "extra" qso's under my belt, take extra credit for the DX whilst possibly (i'm not stating that all those who remote don't say they are "remoting") not letting onto the other party what the "full-picture/reality" is....again i see it as cheating (pulling the wool over the eyes) almost as much as that other unforgiveable sin of "receiving" via a "web-sdr" and giving the impression you can hear the other end on your setup :mad::mad::mad:.....woe betide anyone giving me a signal report from a wb-based-sdr.

Rant err sorry i meant "blonde-moment" over with :p

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

EDIT: just noticed post #2 (we both must've been typing at the same time lol) which says it all or what i rest my case with...i.e. quote..."i had no idea"....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    KC9YGN, WN1MB, KG4BFR and 3 others like this.
  4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't watched the video yet, but I will soon.

Me, when operating remote, I slant my call to match the area I'm operating (i.e. W4RAV/6),
    and change the software grid-square to where the station is I'm using. Usually to match the one the remote station is using.
    For each and every call. Which can be a minor pain, but worth it the effort.

And not least, be sure to follow the law of all countries involved. :)

I have at least 15 "slanted" call-signs. Remote ops is awesome. A BIG thank you to those who share!

KG4BFR and KC5HWB like this.
  5. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently, having a YouTube channel can be very lucrative considering the number of toys he has and places he's always going. My kids watch a lot of YouTube videos and in every one of them the people live in extremely nice houses and are going to lots of places. I may need to look into setting up my own channel...I just need to find something that will bring in lots of viewers.

F4HPX, WQ4G, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  6. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me think a moment. What would bring in lots of traffic on the internets? Think think think.....

7. KC5HWB

EM12 is my home grid square, yes. I operate as KC5HWB from home and TI7/KC5HWB from Costa Rica

KK4HPY likes this.
  8. KC5HWB

HI Darren
    Much like you not watching my video, I didn't read your whole post either. But one I thing I did notice is that.....No, FT8 isn't a "low power" mode. It is a "weak signal" mode. Not the same thing.

In the contest upcoming on 12/8, the maximum power is 100 watts, so that isn't really a QRP operating practice, is it?

K4AAQ, AA0MZ, WW2PT and 1 other person like this.
  9. KC5HWB

If you are being serious, which it sounds like you aren't....but if you are, I am happy to help you with setting up a YouTube channel. But also realize that I have a daytime job also, which pays 90% of my bills. Making money on YouTube isn't impossible but it takes time and lots of work.

CM2XN, K4AAQ and 2E0TWD like this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

It's "weak signal" when used in its original EME contact mode.

High powered Terrestrial contacts are not "weak signal"

WQ4G likes this.
  11. KC5HWB

Well 80-100 watts isn't "high power" so I guess we are in agreement.

WW2PT and KI6NAZ like this.
  12. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

I really appreciate you defining all of these "words" for us. "Words" are hard :)

Be careful , don't tire yourself out "looking into" making a youtube channel :)

KC5HWB likes this.
  13. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been doing this for years (back to the JT65 days). Initially I just used a remote desktop (free from Google) to connect to my shack computer so that I could work FT8 while pretending to watch a movie with the XYL. This can be done with any radio set up to send/receive FT8 assuming you use rig control software that allows you to turn the rig on. I use HRD, which gives me full control of the rig. I've made hundreds of remote FT8 contacts from airplanes, hotel rooms, work (don't tell), and my Dad's shack in Florida. Everything get's saved directly to the logging program in the shack, so logging is never a problem. I can access my shack computer on my phone, tablet or another computer. Now that said, my shack in SC is nothing like operating a remote station in Costa Rica....that's cool. But the remote part is something that just about anyone running FT8 can do. We can start making contacts while standing in line at the grocery store.

I had my wife thinking my shack was haunted....radios coming on and off, tuners tuning, computer coming to life, etc. :)

Love your vids Jason. Thanks for sharing.

K2NCC and KC5HWB like this.
  14. KC5HWB

LOL @ pretending to watch a movie with the XYL!!

Thanks for the positive comments, they are rare on QRZ.

15. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

You can still have weak signal at the receiving end even if you are running legal limit.