ad: ProAudio-1

Russian OTH Radar Contayner now everywhere

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. VK4GAP

That's why the 1st audio i posted had a crossover/mixed at the start for a few seconds and then reverted to a clean Helicopter , i tried replaying it on AM tx but then realized those signals are so wide i deemed it a waste of time .

3. G0HBS

G0HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    In the early 70's I worked on the AN/FPS-95 system. This was an American OTH radar called Cobra Mist at RAF Orfordness in Suffolk Britain. We pointed the other way, we ran MW's, I often wondered what problems we caused. When I was home on leave and listened you could tell the range it was working by the PRF. Brings back the past
    G0HBS

W9AFB and KM4FVI like this.
  4. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed going TDY to the UK while I was on active duty! Nothing like a good pint of beer to start the evening off on the town.

Cheers,
    Frank

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait til the HOA gets a look at this antenna submission!

OTHRADAR.jpg

K0UO, WQ4G and WD4ELG like this.
  6. VK4GAP

SO IT WAS YOU!
    Get him everyone HaHaHa

WQ4G likes this.
  7. VK4GAP

1st notice the years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindalee_Operational_Radar_Network
    • The first data was received by stage B in the period April–May 1982,
    • the first ship was detected in January 1983, and
    • an aircraft was automatically tracked in February 1984

In the early 80's and into the 90's as i recall were the intensity good old Woodpecker saga days on the amateur bands , being a SWL i did a quick rudimentary DF on a common sound and very strong signal that "sounded slightly different" to the WP , it was a east west direction not north south , i recall a few saying on the amateur bands that finding also and getting shouted down all the time and they just gave up , people were leaving amateur radio over it and people leaving the bands and lots of arguments , talk of lets bomb Russia , China and general "War" talk for a few years!

Later on after a lull break the OHR started up again in intensity (late 90's) and the same thing started all over again , it was like a tape/video recording of years previous , except no one ever still clicked that out here most of that stuff was coming from within this place just as it does today! and poor old Russia or China solely got the blame yet again and not the taxpayer funded CB'rs at Jindalee and other close by places these days , imo and i remember it so it happened .

A couple of years back i was accidentally parked on the actual center freq of a signal for a few hours having a listen , it was playing up with audio feed breaks intermittently on 80M into the transmitter , like brrrrrrr brrrrrrr burp pause brrr br brrrrr burp , it went silent all of a sudden but one could still hear a scratchy sound slightly , then what sounded like someone rummaging around on a bench plugging unplugging cables then a pause and then clear as a bell a Australian male voice saying shit is that still on then click and quite , a few minutes later the brrrrrrrrrr for hours went on and on and on .

8. G0HBS

G0HBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All
    Paul VK4GAP, You wouldn' believe the size of the antenna coaxes.....One person fed a KW1000 tx on to one via a number of reducers and got a 59++ report from Australia .He stated it was a high gain antenna not what it was!!! A huge X log periodic.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  9. VK4GAP

Yep i can imagine that , when one has buckets of free money to play with the sky (and beyond) is the limit , i certainly know what i'd be playing with with a few buckets .

10. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked in '16.

WQ4G likes this.