ad: elecraft

Russian OTH Radar Contayner now everywhere

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Russian OTH Radar Contayner now everywhere

The latest IARU-R1 Monitoring System newsletter reports the Russian Over-The-Horizon Radar Contayner has been active in the 7, 10, 14 and 18 MHz amateur radio allocations

The OTH radar transmissions have been 40 sps, FMOP and 12 kHz wide. Additionally IARUMS reports there has been a significant increase in Russian military traffic using F1B, PSK and OFDM in the 7, 10, 14 and 21 MHz bands.

The International Amateur Radio Union Monitoring System (IARUMS) Region 1 October 2019 newsletter can be read at
    http://www.iarums-r1.org/iarums/news2019/news1910.pdf

Recordings of military transmissions can be found on the Signal Identification Guide Wiki at
    https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Category:Military

Reports of Amateur Band intruders can be logged on the IARU Region 1 Monitoring System Logger at
    http://peditio.net/intruder/bluechat.cgi

Monitor the short wave bands on-line with a web based SDR receiver at
    http://www.websdr.org/

IARU Monitoring System (IARUMS)
    https://www.iarums-r1.org/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/november/russian-oth-radar-contayner-now-everywhere.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that the one that i name the Helicopter , woodpecker is so old i thought it needs a new name , it's been active on 20m around 0600z here the last few days 10 over , then it switches beam and reduces by half .

One has to imagine a far off large helicopter like a huey coming towards you

3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it isn't.

4. KA2IRQ

KA0HCP likes this.
  5. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

whats the point of all this? Are the Russians expecting to be attacked any minute?

They have enough satellites up, don't they trust them to keep watch? WTH are they scanning for?

6. VK4GAP

7. KA2IRQ

Many people believe that the true purpose of their radar is to actually jam various communications and that the "radar" nature of it is just a cover to legitimize its actual use. The fact that the IARU report pointed out the radar was "... disturbing the German Weather Service 'DDK9'..." on a nearby frequency, and all of the increased Russian communications traffic that occurs at the same time is at least partial evidence to that belief.

The Russians would probably counter with the point that this is an "early warning system" and the known inaccuracies of over the horizon systems mean that satellite based systems are more accurate for actual position determination.

The nature of the beast is that only the Russians know the true motivation behind spending probably ridiculous amounts of money on a system of dubious need. Not that my opinion matters in the least, but I personally believe it is really a jamming system. Lord knows, the original Woodpecker was only good at jamming. It's "radar" abilities were known to be very poor.

I guess they won't need another Chernobyl to power the thing.... or will they?

And yes... the paranoia of the communist mentality against the West is that they are constantly afraid of being attacked at any minute. In their minds it is a legitimate fear.

WB5THT likes this.
  8. KA2IRQ

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  9. VK4GAP

The same thing the Americans , the Canadians , the Chinese , the Australians , the Kiwi's , the British , and just about everyone else , it's something to Do! .

10. VK4GAP

That's called splitting "Hairs" .

Edited> And they whomever they were was deliberately interfering with my SSTV reception on 20m it was such importance , it was .

K7KBN likes this.
  11. KA2IRQ

Not really- as I understand it, the sounder is only on briefly while the actual radar runs for much longer at much higher power.

12. VK4GAP

Its obvious you ain't heard it yet , try to listen watching the clock instead of reading about it intellectually , 1 to 2 hour transmissions is not what i call brief , maybe on another planet it might be brief? , even the old woodpecker used to go for hours and then days , that one also on 80M for several hours at a time .

13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are quite wrong and do not have a good understanding of radar, satellites and surveillance systems.

The reason these HF OTH radars often overlap into other service bands is due to varying propagation. The same reason we hams use different bands at different times of day, week, year.

This is no proof of intention to interfere. And even casual listen reveals they are poor jammers. Anyone old enough to remember the Cold War as an SWL'er knows what 'real jamming" is like. Further, none of these radars use modulation methods well known to be effective for jamming.

Satellites are not typically used for providing surveillance/tracking of ships and aircraft by radar. The last time the Russians/Soviets had a RORSAT, Radar Ocean Reconnaissance Satellite was around 1993. I've never heard of a radar satellite for aircraft detection. RORSATs are not good choices for tracking ships since they generally have only a few minutes of overhead time. However they can provide 'snapshots" of ship dispositions in ocean areas. Correlation and identification of target ships is problematical.

HF OTH Radars while not having high location precision, are capable of detection and tracking ships and aircraft. The fact they are now fielded by many nations since their introduction four decades ago proves their usefulness.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the day we used to try to jam the wood pecker... Turn the beam in their direction, crank on the amp, and start calling CQ...

Dan WQ4G

K0UO likes this.
  15. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it's purpose is MIND CONTROL! They are trying to gain control over your mind in preparation for the next U.S. election cycle.

Dan WQ4G