ad: ProAudio-1

Solar Cycle 25 Stirs & Mercury Crosses the Sun | Space Weather News 11.07.2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Solar Cycle 25 Stirs & Mercury Crosses the Sun | Space Weather News 11.07.2019

DJ0AJ, KA8UGB, AK5B and 9 others like this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that the solar minimum, the ROCK BOTTOM has passed. However there will be a few good time and bad and discovered a new mode and work bunch of DX on 40 meters with JS8! OH MAN THIS GREAT MODE! Thank you JORDEN!!

PE1KWE, W5DQ, ZS6AKW and 2 others like this.
  3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

yes i agree.. i think we are over the worst.. on the up and up from now on..
    ;)

2E0KLX, KA1BSZ, W5DQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You Operators are Dreaming in Radio fantasy Land...............we are in the Marauder Minimum again !!!
    By the time this one ends you will all be SK.......

PE1KWE, KC1FUU, K1SHE and 3 others like this.
  5. LU8DAL

LU8DAL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "KA1BSZ, post: 5254696, member: 64966"] Diría que el mínimo solar, el ROCK BOTTOM ha pasado. Sin embargo, habrá algunos momentos buenos y malos y descubrimos un nuevo modo y un montón de DX en 40 metros con JS8. ¡OH HOMBRE ESTE GRAN MODO! Gracias JORDEN !! [/ CITA]
    buenisimo, tendremos propagueta...............

KG4BFR likes this.
  6. KA2DDX

KA2DDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a little uptick lately. e.g., working dx on 17m again, and hearing stuff on 15m. Even heard a little 10m activity the other day.

Regards,

N4VER, AK5B, KA1BSZ and 3 others like this.
  7. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Annie and Edward Maunder are no longer around, but I agree sadly that we are approaching another minimum. At my age, I think my best ham radio days are over. I respect the optimism these days, but I am jaded with memories of working Japan all day long on 6 meters and near 24 hour global conditions on 10. Nobody was too cheap mail a QSL card, everybody liked CW and hams actually gave accurate signal reports. Oh, the good ole days.

W4DSM, 2W0CYE, KE0PPC and 11 others like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, You may be right.........., so put up some 160 to 40 meter antennas and keep making QSOs

KC1FUU, AK5B, KC7JNJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I photographed the 2016 transit of Mercury through an early morning break in the fog on a hill above the San Francisco Peninsula, near Redwood City, California.
    Note, there was also a Cycle 24 sunspot at that time, about twice the size of Mercury.
    Photo was taken with a relatively crude set up: digital camera on a tripod with 300mm zoom lens and polymer "eclipse" filter.
    I highly recommend viewing the transit of Mercury through properly filtered optics, especially if you have sun-filtered binoculars... it is a wonderful experience that puts the solar system in greater personal perspective.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    W4DSM, 4X1ST, K0UO and 6 others like this.
  10. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, I remember those days fondly. I practically camped out on 10 meters. My oh my! I sure miss it...probably have the best gear I have ever owned but don't really get much use out of it. Still love CW though!

DJ0AJ, N7KO, N7BDY and 4 others like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rock bottom has passed...now there's the ten mile wide trench we have to get out of!

AK5B and W5DQ like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely Bonnie.

The real value is that Mercury is relatively close to the sun, given our distance, so the comparitive sizes are pretty much what the angles suggest!

If you put earth next to Mercury, it would be a black circle only 2 1/2 times larger than the dot of Mercury.

Humbled yet:)?

AK5B and KQ6XA like this.
  13. KA4TMT

KA4TMT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We are in a maunder minimum again? They have no real data to explain the maunder minimum, what precludes it or how often it will happen. The current prediction from all major science organizations is a repeat of the last solar cycle, a few calling for slightly less a few calling for slightly more sunspots at maximum. As good as past cycles, no, but a maunder minimum also no. Not even a Dalton minimum. My other hobby is astronomy and i remember the message boards and forums of 2006 with people telling everyone they might as well throw out their H-alpha telescopes because they wouldn't see sunspots again in their lifetime. Same people on the astronomy groups last year saying the same thing. The Dalton minimum cycle 5 and 6 were way worse than cycle 24 yet no maunder minimum starting on cycle 7? So playing the statistics and science the HAM sky is not falling. Sunspot minimums are great they test your skill, determination and resolve. "and your patience"

M0VCB, KB2SMS, N5FW and 1 other person like this.
  14. W1KRI

W1KRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Tamitha, been waiting for your show! Look forward to each new episode! -Keith

15. KG4BFR

KG4BFR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YES .....I can remember the days of rag chewing with our VK friends night after night on 10Meters with 15W and a Ground Plane....was very much fun....but for sure for me long gone and staying in the history Log Book