ad: chuckmartin

Message in a bottle found on VK0M by sub-Antarctic station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Nov 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Before it washed out (been years apparently)...what the message REALLY said...the Skipper always had a mess o' fish fry for his good buddies;-) And Maine lobster...what a swim!

[​IMG]

Goodness! The Skipper had a SECRET LIFE...whoda thot?---

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    AK5B likes this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta wonder, if I wanted to put a message in a bottle, which might have to last decades, what would I write it with to assure it's longevity?

3. KD7HCW

KD7HCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the way governments work today, they probably just want to find him so they can write him a ticket for littering.

Just kidding. Not really.

4. MI0GTA

MI0GTA Ham Member QRZ Page

1st ever QSL found in a bottle ????.. IRC's no good, do not send...$2 for return...

forceps and her 40 colleagues to remove a note... Lateral thinking for most would be smash the bottle unless they plan to send a return note in it...

Anyone reckon they'll play spin the bottle

5. SM5PEY

SM5PEY Ham Member QRZ Page

CZCZ
    After yesterday's start I got some searching on the net and could have a hint of who it could be. On the staff list of the Peter 1 Island operation there was a Polish operator. The transport ship then downloaded a lot i Brazil (?) and continued to Bouvet Island. But there were just 4 operator going ashore there. two Norwegians one from the USA and F2CW, who I had the pleasure to contact and later got the QSL. There is not mention of any Polish person there. Could it be that he was still on the transport ship and felt "left behind" and while waiting for the operators ashore to return. If this is the background to the bottle, I believe that the "writer" could be Robert, SP5XVY. If that is true the "date" on the bottle ought to be December 1989 or January 1990.
    Ginnie SM5PEY
    NNNN

W0PV likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Brings a song to mind...

7. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In my younger days, I did the same thing. write a note on some paper and put in a bottle. Then I threw in the local river that ends up in the ocean only to be recovered by the local police officer and said " please do not throw your trash in the river, that is pollution!" oh well. But put another one in another river 5 years ago......

K4PIH and W1YW like this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

agreed. that bottle, cork, and note look as if it has been in the ocean for, oh, perhaps 2 minutes...

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI - toward the end of the story from ABC.au is this separate account of an earlier incident that is reminiscent of your tale,

Not the first bottle discovery

It's happened on the Island at least once before.

In 2014, rangers on Macquarie Island found a message in a plastic bottle.

This one contained a US dollar bill and clear contacts, Theo from Holland, Kimmo from Finland, and Irek from Russia who had been onboard the ship STS Sedov, when they dropped the bottle overboard at the bottom of South America in 2012.

It is estimated this bottle was carried 17,000 kilometres from its point of origin at South America's Cape Horn by circumpolar currents.

And this time Ms Thomas had a serious message for the mystery author of the latest message.

"I'd like to say I found your message and it's really cool, but my final word to them would be don't throw things into the sea," she said.

The rubbish that washes up on Macquarie Island is bagged up, ready to be taken off by helicopter during an island resupply visit at the end of each summer season.

N4GST and KA1BSZ like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice deduction Ginny.

Or perhaps it was an secret advance team recon mission for Dom @3Z9DX and The Rebel DX Group prior to the first attempt at 3YØI ? :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lamb's blood, a quill, on papyrus.

12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Early Packet mode :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

K4PIH likes this.
  13. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

send it to abby at ncis. she has alllll the gear.
    to qualify it would have to have been put overboard by a u.s.n. sailor.

14. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my, 41 workers...likely govt employees...a marvel it took so few.

N4GST and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides this message in a bottle, allegedly from a potential visitor to Bouvet, there is also the legendary story of a life boat found abandoned there, in an unlikely place, an inland lagoon.

See blog linked here ---> An abandoned lifeboat at world’s end

Make sure to explore and read the many comments. Control-F browser searching on the dates May 2011, November 2011, or 2016 will get you to an interesting sections with some plausible explanations for it.

Amateur Radio DX'peditions are mentioned throughout the comments as well.

Hope springs eternal; the message source may still be revealed some day ...