ad: k1jek

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. October 23, 2019.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. October 23, 2019.

VU2USA, ZS6AKW and K1LKP like this.
  2. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to get my calendar fixed... ;)

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

===================THANK YOU
    Hats_off[1].gif

4. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting since the state of California recently declared that Ham radio was no longer a benefit to public safety. The following is a quote from an article I read a couple of weeks ago:

Last month, repeater operators were sent emails telling them the State {California} would no longer allow them to operate repeaters on public land without paying substantial rental fees. In the letter sent by CAL FIRE, the state claims Ham operators no longer provide a benefit to the state or public safety. They claimed that “constantly changing technological advances” has made Ham radio obsolete during an emergency that Amateur Radio was not for 'Emergency Communications' and has decided to no longer supply Ham clubs free repeater/tower space on public land or free power to run them.

I can only hope that these recent events might make the 'Powers-to-be' in California see the error of their ways, but that is extremely doubtful. Meanwhile, it appears the Calif. Hams continue to help the state/public, although the state says it will no long help them, why ... because that is what we do. It's just sad that it will no longer be reciprocal.

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

May I suggest you research the issue well beyond the article you quoted. This has been debunked and proven inaccurate by those with no axe to grind. The legitimate information is out there for those who care to apply critical thinking skills.

K8BJC, KQ6XA, WA7RJ and 3 others like this.
  6. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What has been “debunked”? A copy of the email from the state is attached to the letter cited by AK5CT, in which Lorina Pisi of Cal Fire states exactly what he summarized. He did not quote an “article” but rather referred to a letter to the state by an attorney.

ND6M likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I suggest you look at Ham Radio Nation episode HRN414. This is about an inventory done finding private equipment(repeaters) in a government building and they can no longer offer free space and financially fund the free electric. Your CONtent creator propagated this "fake news" for the clicks and views. We suffer from enough drama trauma as it is without someone else trying to gin up division. We can't spell content without "con" anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2019
    WA7RJ and AI7PM like this.
  8. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Read and educate
    http://www.arrl.org/news/report-causes-concern-and-confusion-in-california-s-amateur-radio-ranks

AI7PM likes this.
  9. KC3MIO

You failed to answer my question.

ND6M likes this.
  10. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I'm not Google or your favorite search engine. You strike me as someone that will nitpick "I don't use Google". Educate yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2019
    WN8BLX and AI7PM like this.
  11. KC3MIO

‘The State of California has not made any determination we can find ‘that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit,’” Pacific Division Director Jim Tiemstra, K6JAT, is quoted on the Sacramento Valley Section website. “What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department. That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use, and tenants. If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.”’

So that process has already started - nothing to see here, move along. Don’t be surprised if more emails a la Pisi will be sent out. Note that she didn’t ask them to justify their use of the rack space, she just told them to pay up or get out, as ham radio has no benefit to Cal Fire.

KI7OQF and K9GLS like this.
  12. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

You failed to research the issue. Seek information from many sources concerning this issue. Gather enough information to make an informed decision. Or not.

KK4HPY and K9GLS like this.
  13. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you guys for the updated information, I am very glad to see that I am wrong in this case. I did do some research on it at the time, but apparently more has come out on it since then, and I should have checked again before sending in that info. Let us now hope the State of California finds that Lorina Pisi is of no benefit :) OH, by the way Phil, I certainly have no 'Ax to Grind' with California, or anyone else. I guess for some strange reason, I just assumed that a representative of a state agency sending out a communication to some repeater owners to remove their equipment or pay a fee and saying that they no longer offered the same benefit to State (as quoted in the ARRL article that someone linked here), might actually mean that. I guess my "Critical Thinking Skills" are not working as good since my retirement. However, Three of the 'Critical Thinking Skills' are Analysis, Interpretation and Inference, which, when used, made think of the old adage 'Tip of the Iceberg"

KI7OQF, KD4IZ, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  14. KD0WGB

KD0WGB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YOU EARNED MY RESPECT SIR

KD4IZ and AK5CT like this.
  15. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

The part omitted that made this a nothing burger to begin with... right after "they no longer offer the same benefit"... there is this important sentence that our CONtent creator still glosses over "the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators [sic] radios or tenancy." Doesn't take much critical thinking to understand there is no such thing as free rack space (or electricity to run said rack of goodies). From a state tipping on bankruptcy seems to make sense. You pay rent or get out. Again I say bravo to the CONtent creator for ginning up views and clicks. I'm sure he's enjoying his Starbucks coffee with the money he made on Youtube.