ad: Retevis-1

Ham Talk Live Episode 186 - Virtual Reality and Contesting

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Oct 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday (10/17) night on Ham Talk Live!, Jeri Ellsworth, AI6TK and Amy Herndon, AI6ZU from Tilt Five will be here to take your questions about using augmented reality in ham radio contesting! Their kickstarter campaign has taken off to build virtual reality systems to be used in gaming, but also for things like contesting. Be sure to tune in and ask your questions live!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 6:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-638-4261 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

tilt5.jpg jeri and amy.jpg

K0YQ, W2AI and KG4BFR like this.
  2. WW6DX

WW6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamsphere 4.0 already has virtual contesting (only without the Reality Goggles).

3. K0YQ

K0YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not worthy.

4. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

not to fire up a big thing here...
    have you checked out what she is working on ??? its sickness at its best.... from what ive seen in vids..
    it isnt your normal VR setup...

i think its awsome how far they have come in a few years with it..

K0YQ and WW6DX like this.
  5. WW6DX

Nope, not really. I will listen in to the podcast though. Just noting that there is virtual radio contesting that doesn't require wearing VR gear...

W6ERM likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no virtue in virtual.

W6ERM likes this.
  7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

They definitely have some interesting ideas. Jerri has already hooked up her IC-7610 to her AR software and can scroll through the bandscope in 3D. Not sure where AR will come into play in contesting or ham radio in general ? Remote multi op contesting using AR seems to make sense to me? Looking forward to seeing what other innovations comes through using AR related to ham radio.

8. KD8TNF

KD8TNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My goodness virtual contesting, why not the real thing. What next then: CALL OF DUTY -7200 SATURDAY AFTERNOON - "with over two hours of harvested audio from K9RSY"

9. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's my fault. It shouldn't have been "virtual" but rather "augmented".

10. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Your comment is proof you have no idea what Jeri is even doing.

K0YQ and WW6DX like this.
  11. WW6DX

Your comment is proof that you have no idea what I was talking about in my post. I did say that 'I "WOULD" listen to the Podcast.' That is "kind of" the way I would find out WHAT Jeri was indeed doing.....

12. AA9NN

AA9NN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K7AGE! Hey what's up Old Man!? Great Stuff!