ad: elecraft

Two Solar Cycles at Once & A Big Meteor Nearly Hits | Space Weather News 10.10.2019

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully there is no SHREDDING involved :)!

2. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Then stop being so negative. You are reinforcing that everything is lost oh HF. We don't have control of the Solar Flux or conditions so we have to show them that with some work, the bands are not so terrible but workable. If you were my Elmer, I would quit too.

NZ5F likes this.
  3. EA1YQ

EA1YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hola, perdón por no escribir bien en inglés, estoy usando un traductor.
    La propagación es muy mala, pero también hay que buscar las horas y la apertura de las condiciones en las bandas. Salgo diariamente con 20 w y un dipolo para 10/20 metros y un cable largo y cerrado en un marco horizontal, 41 metros de largo y todavía estoy haciendo DX en ssb que en cw en diferentes bandas desde 20 metros hacia abajo y Todavía me estoy divirtiendo mucho con este pasatiempo durante 25 años.
    73 de EA1YQ

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop being so unrealistic.

Words like 'dead' and 'terrible' are not my words.

We just have to accept the word POOR and work forward. But hey, if you READ you will see I said that.

Do you even TALK to new hams? How about introducing yourself and seeing what's on their minds? I do that all the time at Dayton, for example. Many are actively discouraged by the POOR HF propagation conditions.

You don't have to make your point by dissing others.And it sure don't register with me bubelah:)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

sí, la propagación es pobre pero la gente es amable.

:)

6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation is poor.
    So am I. Level playing field!

7. N5SKT

N5SKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I liken this to playing video games on hard mode and how many gamers do that for fun. And after this, we can all wear the T-Shirt "I survived the Cycle 24 Solar Minimum and I still had fun"

8. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

Translated to English via Google Translate: "Hi, sorry for not writing well in English, I'm using a translator.
    The propagation is very bad, but you also have to look for the hours and the opening conditions in the bands. I go out daily with 20 w and a dipole for 10/20 meters and a long and closed cable in a horizontal frame, 41 meters long and I'm still doing DX in ssb than in cw in different bands from 20 meters down and I'm still having fun A lot with this hobby for 25 years."
    --
    I've had success on 40 meters at night using about 70 watts on a little "hamstick dipole". Sure, it's not the best but I did manage to work Perth, Australia--about 10,000 miles from my QTH--with relative ease. The DX is more difficult with SSB but to me, thet's the challenge of DXing: picking out the stations out of the background. I've been an amateur radio operator for 22 years and I love the challenge of poor propagation.
    --
    En español:

He tenido éxito en 40 metros por la noche usando alrededor de 70 vatios en un pequeño "dipolo hamstick". Claro, no es lo mejor, pero logré trabajar en Perth, Australia, a unas 10,000 millas de mi QTH, con relativa facilidad. El DX es más difícil con SSB pero para mí, ese es el desafío de DXing: elegir las estaciones fuera del fondo. Soy operador de radio aficionado durante 22 años y me encanta el desafío de la mala propagación.

Traducido usando Google Translate

Sean
    (Soy

9. KE4BKL

KE4BKL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I mean no disrespect to anyone in this group or the ham community in general, but quit whining about FT8 and the so called bad props. It seems funny that whenever contests come rolling around, there are people from all over the world on the air working other people all over the world with no problems at all, but when there are no contest that is when the bands are dead. How do you know if the band is really dead if you're not on the air calling "CQ"? It doesn't matter what mode you are on, chances are someone may be out there listening. I have been running FT8 for almost a year and love it simply because I have picked up my DXCC for 17, 30, 40 and 80 meters just because of this mode. Now what is the difference in a couple of lines of code being decoded by computers with signal reports and a "73" confirmation on the end, than lets say a 5nn only for a CW contact to confirm a contact?? If you work em you work em and if you don't oh well try again another time. Just give it a try and maybe, just maybe, you'll like it and get back to chasing DX again like the good ole days when the cycle was at a peak.\ Just my 2 cents worth

W4WFL likes this.
  10. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Conditions are poor but the folks leaving the hobby will be back when things pick up in 2021/22. I have enjoyed picking up super solid equipment at about 1/2 the price that these items were going for in 2013/14. My station is almost set for the solar cycle 25 to come and return. Except for lack of F2 E/W on 6m last cycle I had a ton of fun and worked a lot of DX. Solar cycle 24 was the first for me as a new ham (9 year anniversary this Dec), and when i get tower 2 up with the big Mosley Pro67 it will be fun times I am sure even if it is only as good as SC24. I worked only one ATNO this year Somalia so hanging steady at 314 mixed. No ATNOs are FT8 for me. I am not going there but don't care if others do whatever to enjoy the hobby. At Belton spoke to Expert Amps vendor and he said that FT8 is saving the hobby during the bottom of the cycle and they are still selling amps at a good pace. I got a used SPE 1K FA for super cheap like brand new but could not see myself spending $5-7K for a FT8 amplifier now. Lol.

11. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

You know things are bad when you can't hear 9K2GS on 20m phone in the evening at 59+++++ talking to his fan club. Been awhile since hearing him. When i lived in San Diego used to listen to Seymour W6CCP (SK) and enjoyed listening to him and his California Kilowatt talking to DX like they were next door to him and I could barely hear the other side. Sure conditions are down but still looking forward to working South Orkney next year for an ATNO on CW. The memories of better times keep me excited and by the way, this is a good time to focus on other hobbies and interests. Like getting in superior shape. I am spending 2 hours a day, 4-5 days a week at the gym. There is a lot of sedentary lack of activity / exercise with this hobby. This is a good time to get up and hit the gym. Everyone can get fat on DX when the cycle comes back. Hihi.

W0PV, WW2PT and W1YW like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Oh don't get me started on the "watt hogs". The real death of amateur radio will be when everyone gets a KW amp and splatters across a 10kHz path. Power is no substitute for skill. :D

KE4BKL likes this.
  13. V51WW

V51WW Ham Member QRZ Page

good read all the way adapt and ya we sure miss seymor on the lp longpath we on 14.240 (Southern DX net)a zs station or 2 me and vks from 11:30 onwards or 12:utc
    W1FDY in charge of net and some others come in even shorpath to us in the middle of the day try and u could work us

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

KW amps do not automatically equate to splatter. Those that do are mis-operated by Lids. A badly setup QRP rig can sound horrible, make a mess of QRM, and if used as a driver make even a great ultra linear amp look bad. It takes SKILLS to operate QRO, properly, as well. ;)

The real death of ham radio will be when nobody is making QSO's because the average propagated SNR is so low while everybody is running QRP with HOA antennas.

When propagation conditions are bad, adding a box of signal GAIN in the path is a remedy not to be ignored. It can work wonders in all cases; running CQ's with full power will generate more takers; S&P with the same will generate more success.

If the objective is to just make a contact with anyone anywhere, go right ahead, be all QRP all the time. I often do that myself. Just don't moan about having small antennas, complain the bands are dead, can't work desired DX, or give up on HR. :eek:

Just use the relatively easy to add and permitted solution, a RF power amplifier. :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    KD0CAC, K2NCC and WW2PT like this.
  15. M0IRB

M0IRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Im joking your probably a lovely guy really