ad: cq2k-1

Interesting connection between solar activity, propagation and earthquakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob;

I would appreciate you from posting to my threads more than once... we heard you. Please let other people form their own opinion!
    Thank you;

Alex -VE7DXW

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you must be looking at a different list than I am. The closest names to SciRes Literature on this list are:

and to "Nature":
    None of these appear to be the ones who published the article.

As far as Google Rankings go.... who cares? Google is a for-profit company, that is well known for "Ranking For Pay".

Now to be precise, I don't know if the article is right, wrong, brilliant or stupid.... but given the apparent offense you've taken with it, it looks to me like your problem is not with the presented data but possibly with either the presenter, or the journal.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, Alex, you don't get to "own threads". This is a public thread on QRZ. Bob and everyone else, just like you, has a right to express opinions, make comments, offer retorts and opposing views, agree with or disagree with any statements made by you or by others, all as long as it meets all terms of the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service of QRZ. And so far, every comment is well within the expected CoC rules.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, AK5B and AE8W like this.
  4. W0KDT

W0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

How is the correlation with the price of salt in Madagascar? Coal shipments from Australia? Inuit birth rate? Signs of the Zodiac?

Apparent correlations are a dime a dozen. Wake me when there is a proven mechanism that starts to support causality.

KX8C and AK5B like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

One more try to keep it civil and on track...

K4AGO and AE8W like this.
  6. K8UA

K8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to support any one side of the discussion - but as an active researcher myself, I would not trust anything that is published in a sketchy journal like this. It has no credibility in the scientific world at all - regardless of whether it is officially recognized as "predatory" or not. (If not - it's only a matter of time till it will be). The broad scope of the journal is the first (but only one of the most obvious) sign of its below-reasonable credibility, as they fail to attract enough quality original research in any one more specific subject area. (Not to be confused with such journals as Science and Nature).

K4AGO and N0TZU like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They have a list of publishers too, and it looks like I copied the wrong publisher initially, my apologies.

The correct publisher of Natural Science is Scientific Research Publishing (SCIRP), which is ALSO on the list of predatory publishers. Here's an excerpt from the list (bolding is mine)
    https://predatoryjournals.com/publishers/#S

No, I have not "taken offense". But I do spend some time investigating pseudoscience claims that I find interesting for one reason or another. I'm no stranger to researching and reading technical journals so it doesn't take me very long to look up and read the papers, if readily available.

There is so much pseudoscience, poor research, and fake research (for commercial or political purposes) on the internet these days that I feel some obligation to try to point it out when I encounter it. It wouldn't be right to stand by and be silent; that is tantamount to acceptance in my book.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    K4AGO, AK5B, KA0HCP and 1 other person like this.
  8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

understood.. thanks for the clarification. I'll look at the links

My point was / is not if the paper is good or bad. (I really don't know one way or the other. ) Rather, that as we debate various topics we as a group would do better to avoid confrontational / harsh language which is often read by others as mean-spirited. That tends to limit the conversation, and often pushes people away from a rational truth, toward an emotional response..... which as we know can often be quite the opposite from the truth.

As far as pseudo-science goes, we certainly have far too much of it nowadays. In fact, it is widely misused by the media to sway public opinion in very detremental ways. So we are in agreement on that point.

Dave
    KK4NSF

K4AGO, AK5B, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  9. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh. Meh.

I side with N0TZU because there is no real evidence the phenomena under consideration are CAUSALLY RELATED. This is a basic concept and underlies the logic behind the "post hoc, ergo property hoc" type of fallacy; i.e., the fact different phenomena appear to occur at the same time, and, perhaps, at the same frequency, more or less, does not PROVE or substantiate either is caused by the other. In court, the proponent often must prove both correlation and causation - i.e., correlation often merely suggests EVENT A actually CAUSED EFFECT A - it does not necessarily prove the event caused the effect - and the question remains: "Coincidence?" And the answer is, "perhaps, but maybe not."

Bottom line - correlation does not always constitute proof of actual causation - even if there was high correlation - and here there is neither.

Just MY take. K8JHR

K4AGO, AK5B, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  10. K8UA

K8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

All you need to know about correlations (but makes sense, no? ;))

spurious-correlations.jpeg

K4AGO, AK5B, W7UUU and 3 others like this.
  11. K8UA

K8UA Ham Member QRZ Page

All in all - there is no connection unless the mechanism is shown and reasonably proven. You cannot claim that there is a causal relationship based solely on a correlation - no matter how excellent it is. Period.

K4AGO, WQ2H and N0TZU like this.
  12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And the first step in the chain is to actually calculate the correlation, not simply eyeball the data (with benefit of hindsight)!

AG6QR likes this.
  13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Fear monger much?

AK5B and KA0HCP like this.
  14. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you will play by your own rules, stop posting your nonsense topic. You have posted once. Please go away! Thanks. :)

[edited for clarity]

K4AGO and AK5B like this.
  15. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow, do you mean "evidence-based science" and "stochastic independence" actually have value?

As Christiaan Huygens would have said: ".....go figure."

:)