ad: M2Ant-1

MIAMI RADIO AMATEURS WILL BE LAUNCHING FOUR HIGH ALTITUDE BALLONS. SHOULD CIRCUMNAVIGATE PLANET.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4LCD, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K4LCD

K4LCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your interest in our project.

Your posting APPEARS to be uninformed and misleading.

1. Our 10 gram payload hanging from a 3 feet party balloon IS NOT YOUR 10.88 GRAM LEAD BULLET TRAVELLING AT ALMOST THE SPEED OF SOUND. The comparison seems somewhat irrelevant.

2. You should check on what are the EXEMPTIONS to FAA Section 101.

With regards 73,

Juan /K4LCD

2. N2AMM

N2AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

My fellow Ham Juan,

"1. Our 10 gram payload hanging from a 3 feet party balloon IS NOT YOUR 10.88 GRAM LEAD BULLET TRAVELLING AT ALMOST THE SPEED OF SOUND. The comparison seems somewhat irrelevant."

But, it seems that the 737 MAX is traveling just under the speed of sound, with exposed engine intakes,
    windshield,and nose com. might not be competition for your project?

vy 73, _jon

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary, are you trying to burst his balloon? o_O

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see here: NASA wannabe jumpsuit and a Dr. Seuss hat - two more reasons to not attend Hamvention.

https://imgur.com/a/AZnDWhx

5. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that’s funny!

Frank

6. WN1MB

Remember when you'd go to a gas station and air for your car tires was free? Nowadays, more and more self-service air pumps require you to PAY for air. Do you know why that is?

Inflation.

W0AEW and WJ4U like this.
  7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WN1MB

Nope. Didn't know that. If it's so, I stand corrected.

Now is the other character the real Cat in the Hat?

9. K4LCD

Jon, our Party Ballons with our 10 grams 14 MHz payload are not a hazard to anyone.

But, since you are a worrier, I would suggest you worry about all those crazy big birds flying around the Syracuse International Airport or the frequent hailstorms with their huge ice particles with embedded thunderstorms, so frequent in Upper State New York. These would be the real hazard to your Boeing 737MAX. Are they still grounded for another reason? I seem to remember that some birdies knocked one of your planes into the Hudson some years back... I don't think it was a Party Balloon launched by a Radio Amateur from Long Island?

FYI guys, we are expecting our little payload to arrive from Europe, tomorrow. This according to the USPS.

So, everything is on schedule for our November initial launch.

If you are actually interested in following this AMATEUR RADIO EVENT you can do so at: https://sites.google.com/view/miamihab/home where you will find additional links for all the open source details of the tracker and to tracking. Your grand children can do so from their cell phones...

Good morning and 73,

Juan /K4LCD

10. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have any stats on aircraft brought down by party balloons?

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Statistically speaking? Zero.

12. WN1MB

I don't know the stats, but I've read of a few aircraft having to do emergency landings due to party buffoons.

13. K4LCD

Thank you Art.
    K4LCD

14. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll see :D Apparently if the barn is moving at over 500 mph and the bullet is standing still to him is different than the bullet moving at 500 mph and the barn standing still....
    I'll let ya know what the horse says later today

15. N2NXZ

N2NXZ Guest

What the hell are you talking about...send links to these incidents !!
    My friend is F16 pilot...he would laugh at this.
    Jim