ad: ProAudio-1

Born OCT 1, 1919 - Happy 100th Birthday to WWV - WW0WWV QRV on the bands from the Fort Collins QTH

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W9JEF, Aug 22, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Trial run to be held this weekend

WWV Centennial Committee to Conduct Trial Run of WW0WWV Special Event
    The WWV Centennial Committee will conduct a trial run of special event station WW0WWV over the August 24 - 25 weekend in advance of the event a little more than a month away. WW0WWV will be set up adjacent to the WWV transmitter site in Fort Collins, Colorado. WWV turns 100 years old on October 1.

[​IMG]

"We'll be testing band and notch filtering, in an attempt to reign in the extreme RF environment created by WWV and WWVB," said Dave Swartz, W0DAS, of the Northern Colorado Amateur Radio Club (NCARC). The special event is being organized in conjunction with the WWV Amateur Radio Club and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which operates WWV/WWVH/WWVB. The special event site is within 1/3 of a mile of all six WWV transmitters and the 50 kW WWVB transmitter.

"On-air tests will start Saturday afternoon, August 24, and run through Sunday, August 25," Swartz said.

[​IMG]
    Greg Ella, N0EMP, uses a 10 MHz loop to monitor the broadcast signal of WWV at the site of the special event station. He was able to measure the drift of a GPS disciplined oscillator (GPSDO) to about 1 Hz in 90 seconds against the 10 MHz WWV carrier.

The WWV Centennial special event is set to run from September 28 through October 2, and round-the-clock operation will take place on CW, SSB, and digital modes. Operations will shift among HF bands following typical propagation and will include 160 meters as well as satellites (SO-50, AO-91, and AO-92) and 6-meter meteor scatter. Up to four stations will be on the air for routine operations. A fifth station will schedule contacts with schools, universities, and museums, as well as conducting unscheduled contacts. The additional station will periodically broadcast an AM carrier from a radio locked with WWV's 10 MHz signal.

Members of the Amateur Radio industry have contributed equipment, including radios, amplifiers, and antennas. Visit the WWV Centennial Committee website to see how you can contribute or get involved. Read more.

http://wwv100.com/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wished WWV a “HAPPY B'DAY” just after midnight, Wednesday morning, on both 80 and 160 CW, with 100 watts. Was told I had a “strong signal” on 80, using the NE/SW legs of my 80 meter turnstile. Used the turnstile in its umbrella vertical mode on 160.

:cool:

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got WW0WWV on 40m phone, via ground wave. Of course, I’m virtually next door!

I did also get W3V, the other WWV special events station in Maryland.

4. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I knew about W3V I would have looked for them.

N1RBD likes this.
  5. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm new and just found WW0WWV by accident on 9/30 on 40m. Wound up working them on 20/40 SSB and 40 FT8. My first SES! :)

WA3TVH likes this.
  6. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was able to get them on 80 CW at 4:30AM on the last day. Do not have a great antenna on 20 meters and with the band conditions and the pileups on SSB I had no chance to work them there.

7. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was really surprised there was no pileup on SSB when I worked them. The first time I had gone out to a local park to play with FT8 (I'm temporarily in an apartment so all my HF is field radio) and happened upon them calling CQ on 20m. I found out based on their operator schedule when they would be on 40m SSB so I was waiting to pounce when they hit the air the next day! :)

I was running QRP with a HyEndFed 10/20/40 strung up into a tree.

WA3TVH likes this.