ad: cq2k-1

How Prepared Are You?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Sep 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

VK3SQ, W1KOM, N0AMY and 8 others like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not me. I plan to go down with the ship along with my fellow citizens...

K8JHR, KC2FQ, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm prepared and radio is the last thing on the list. Last. ;)

N3HQN, N4DJT, K4AGO and 2 others like this.
  4. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, I always said to people who dig themselves long-term shelters ... why do you want to survive? Who wants to live through nuclear Armageddon, radiation sickness, and no food? I want to be at ground zero!

But for anything less than total thermo-nuclear war, yeah, radios are kind of important.

K4MOE, AD5NM, N5YPJ and 4 others like this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

There may be things worse than thermo-nuclear war.... The Manhattan project's letter - number designation was S-1. The project in which the Disk and Pilots from the Roswell incident were examined (and allegedly reverse engineered) was letter number designated S-4.

What black projects were designated S-2 and S-3? Is there an S-5 project?

Dan WQ4G

KB9OAK, KQ6XA and K9GLS like this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Prep is easy:
    • Car gassed up
    • Evacuate early to beat the rush

Stay with my daughter in Birmingham

VK4HAT and MW1CFN like this.
  7. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

All kidding aside, it is a good idea to have a family disaster plan. Even something as simple as where to meet and when to turn on your phone when there's no power to charge it to listen for a call. Things like that are easy to remember and will keep phone circuits clear for people who have real emergencies.

K8MHZ likes this.
  8. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

For what?

Randy
    KA4AQM

9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Space Shuttles that flew into orbit:
    A- Atlantis
    B -
    C - Challenge, Columbia
    D - Discovery
    E - Endeavor

Why 2 "C" and but no "B"?

upload_2019-9-19_16-9-9.jpeg

WQ4G, F1TIO and KD9NQC like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was young, I definitely wanted to survive The Bomb (though that would have been tough in the 60s and 70s with all those enormous, high yield city-busters). In my mid-60s? Not so much. Katrina gave us a small taste of what the post apocalypse would be like. And I've decided I just don't have the will for that anymore. ;)

If I did want to go on after the holocaust, a radio wouldn't be last on my list, that's for sure. A 2-meter HT? Not so much, but an HF rig, and especially a receiver? Darned right, skippy. :)

I am, however, prepared for disasters that are not Strangelovian. We are entering a period of more hurricanes, and I've got emergency power, water, food, etc.

VK4HAT, N5YPJ, AI1V and 1 other person like this.
  11. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The best preparation for disaster is developing mental and physical adaptability. Whatever you think might happen and however you prepare, you may still not be ready for the random thing that comes your way.

NU4R and N0TZU like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

On a side note... we got Area 51. I want to know where the other 50 areas are.

W8LLW likes this.
  13. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Th other 50 are still secret...not a bad record, 50 secret and 51 was just 1 too many.

14. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

With apologies to Maxwell Smart: How do you know there are only 51? There could be thousands of which only one ...

I guess now I better go and watch / listen to the OP to see what it's all about.

15. W9USS

W9USS Ham Member QRZ Page

I use qrp ssb mono bands (MFJ-9420X and MFJ-9440X) that draw 60 ma on rx and runs a long time on even AA size batteries, CB mobiles (Midland 77-805) with portable type attached antenna and you can turn off the led display.
    Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Size Batteries
    last 20 years on the shelf and the AA size has 3500 ma/h , C and D a great deal more.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ul...ocphy=9029658&hvtargid=pla-424164455251&psc=1

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9420X

https://www.ebay.com/i/333315604089...2Lby7kpvHiz1QLI_JTi-aislTpOrkULUaAqr4EALw_wcB

Oh and a life straw

https://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Pe...ocphy=9029658&hvtargid=pla-310770782840&psc=1

73's