ad: QSLWorks-1

Mysterious signals from West Africa on 28 MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry Dave, didn't see your previous post till just now. So plus one 1+1 on the beacons!
    73 de Jim

2. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Woodpecker? BRING IT! My trusty little TS-140S had a great "woodpecker" filter in it (NB2)... I remember it doing a very good job at knocking down that pesky bird!

For all the misery the Duga transmitter caused, it should be nuked... oh wait... it was.

Newer radars are nowhere near as powerful. If they are legitimate OTHR, they run much lower power because of newer receiver technology. And if the OTH "radar" is actually a jammer, as the Duga monstrosity was, they are not anywhere near as effective as they used to be owing to that same receiver technology.

The stated original purpose of the Soviet era OTHR was to detect our bombers... a function that is easily accomplished with other much less expensive and more reliable technologies.

3. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

Its ALF, he is out there some where. He sends his 73's.

W2STF

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

:)
    Steve, NL7W
    10X 39102

5. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll bet the signal stinks.

MM0IMC likes this.
  6. DG6JS

DG6JS Ham Member QRZ Page

28250.6 / 76 = 3717.1842
    Position 37 N 17 W 18 minutes 42 seconds
    Spends a Position with the Azores-Gibraltar Ridge.
    This is northwest of West Africa. Probably there is a Nazi submarine with the ulimative climate change bomb on board :D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  7. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

10 meters is open from the Southeastern US to South America. Just had two voice contacts to Chile.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    2E1LEX likes this.
  8. G7VGG

G7VGG Ham Member QRZ Page

CB is dead
    There is no CB use in the UK anymore...In the late 70's and early 80's there were at least 5-10 million people on CB in the UK...That was when it was illegal.
    Getting caught meant the user having to pay a huge fine and all their equipment would be confiscated.
    Then, around 1981, 3 million CB'rs marched on London to ask for CB use to be made legal in the UK. The UK government soon relented and declared they would make it legal...But sadly, it was on the UK governments terms, terms no one asked for, or wanted...Users would have to pay for a CB licence, which cost £5 per year, (the same price as a Ham radio licence at the time) the 40 FM channels they were given were incompatible with the AM radios CB'rs were already using and they were on different frequencies too, which meant millions would have have to the buy new, UK spec, CB radios or they would still be breaking the law...Millions left the hobby seemingly overnight!
    Only the die hard users stayed on CB because for many, it was the thrill of CB being illegal that attracted them to it in the first place...They were effectively getting one over on the law, with little chance of getting caught and of course communication with strangers can be addictive.
    As a result, many users did not buy a licence, or upgrade to a new radio, so they could keep the thrill going by continuing to work illegally, or for others, now that CB was technically legal, and there was no more thrill to be had from it, left the hobby as quickly as they had entered it. Others, like myself, became radio Hams instead.
    But by the 90's something came along that would kill CB use off entirely...the rise of the humble mobile phone (cell phone).
    My Brother, also a Ham, lives in the Orkney Islands over 500 miles away to the North and I live in London so the plan was for both of us to chat using HF as once we had paid for the gear it would have been cheaper than chatting over the landline telephone...But then, we got mobile phones, with cheap contracts, and could we chat with ease, with better audio quality and with perfect reliability, at any time, and from anywhere in the UK, with no need to go through the radio at all.
    He put his Ham radio away and has never used it since. I use mine sporadically...every couple of years or so I might drag it out of it's box, if I feel like it, (like now) but there are more important things to worry about these days.
    Ironically, in 1996 UK CB became deregulated and it is now licence free...But you won't hear anyone on there, as the smartphone is here to stay...73, G7VGG.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  9. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

No CB use in the UK anymore , you should try listening to the SSB nets that take place around the Country most get around 30 call in of an evening and have been times when the MWN was getting around 90 call in of an evening . The AAC nets had a combined total of something like 200 in the logs with most of those guys out portable making use of TrE conditions and since SSB became legal in the UK on the old mid block channels CB has made quite a come back , its been a long time since I,ve used CB but to say no CB use in the UK is highly inaccurate .

10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone heard/logged/recorded this signal?

11. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that Russia's special forces transmitted those signals from Western Africa.

12. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

13. KD8UJM

KD8UJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree! While we are in the bottom of the sun spot cycle we still get 10m openings from time to time. Sporatic E can be had if people pay attentionn to the band and not what the QRZ map says! 73

KC5TJS, KA2FIR and M0YRX like this.
  14. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

Its ALF. He sends his 73"s.

K3EY likes this.
  15. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the Smiley Steve! Hope to work you someday, maybe even on 10!
    de Jim NJ3T
    10X 35510 Life Member