ad: TinyPaddle-1

HR231: DXmini Hotspot Updates for Pi-star DMR/DSTAR/YSF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N6JPA

N6JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio is not hooking a Internet hot spot then talking over voice over IP. IMHO. YMMV.

3. N1DH

N1DH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, IMHO, I think ham radio should be able to embrace any new technology that enhances radio communications. I understand that using a hotpot is like shooting fish in a barrel, but it's the only way I can catch 'em... Remember, no ham is required to have a hotspot.

73, Dan

KC5HWB, WA5MD, K3SZ and 2 others like this.
  4. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what some older W5 said to me about 2m repeaters.
    Same thing happened when I got my first Donald Duck radio :)

KC5HWB, WA5MD and K3SZ like this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So, no voice over IP? What about remote station control,, QRZ lookups, LOTW, eQSL, Echolink, clock software, etc, etc. The internet is well embedded in the hobby, like it or not. Why limit it's use? The V in VOIP still gets delivered to the hot spot via RF.

KC5HWB, KC2NVG and K3SZ like this.
  6. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds more like glorified phone patch , Why not get a telephone with a wireless handset ? that RF is that Ham Radio too ?

7. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A hotspot is a TOOL that expands digital voice modes.....it isn't NEEDED for digital voice, since your radio is still transmitting RF.

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A hot spot is a private DMR/DStar/Fusion repeater. It's the same thing....a VOIP gateway to the internet, except it's not on a tower down the street, it's in your house. Is your contention that DMR/DStar/Fusion repeaters around the world are not ham radio and should all be taken off the air? That's an interesting point of view.