ad: elecraft

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't find the place to submit a public comment.
    I don't think they should go to all electronics for one reason.
    Anyone, anywhere can print out a license. There are a few websites that allow you to do so.
    What's needed is an easy way to check if a license is indeed valid, current, and/or active.
    Yes you can go to the Zed, or AE7Q etc. but maybe it's just me, but while the ability to print your own
    license is a good thing, there is still a need for "official" documentation. That's just my opinion.
    There are websites that will let you print just about anything these days from false driver's licenses and ID cards
    to scammers printing out fake utility bills. If it can be printed, it can be copied. The printed license IMHO is
    worthless without verification and even that's questionable. I could print out a license with any callsign I want
    and the Zed etc. will verify that the callsign is active. When I moved, I made sure my YL and I both got our licenses
    in the mail. Not only do we have the envelopes those licenses came in, those envelopes are proof that a government
    agency (FCC) mailed them to us. It's why I don't go paperless. Yes, my bank statements both online and paper version
    can prove I paid a bill, there's something reassuring about having solid, tangible proof in your hand.
    As far as old farts go, I'm so old, I'm stale. :)

W3FHT likes this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is fine excepting that the printed license is not actually a license at all. It is just a sheet of paper; whether printed and mailed by the FCC or by Bob's Printing.

Legally, your license only exists in ULS--with the exception of the period after you pass a test for an upgrade before it appears in ULS. Even that piece of paper signed by the VEs is not really a license, it is just an endorsement of privileges which is still dependent upon your license listing in ULS.

What most people here are complaining about is something which already happened years ago. And the reasons for that change are exactly the ones you state. Printing can be done by anyone. FCC envelopes and USPS postmarks can be faked by anyone. That is why any paper copy is worthless.

3. WB8DQT

WB8DQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually we are the last service that needs to be brought into the electronic system. I am a 78 year OF and have no problem with the system with my GMRS license that covers my motorcycle radios. Friends can certainly cover those without computers and the services that now exist to get you renewed will be capable as well.

4. WD8MPQ

WD8MPQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm such an "Old Fart" I can remember when politeness and respect were hallmarks of Ham Radio - seems the bright, young ,educated, effete entitlement generation is correcting that for us.

W1YW likes this.
  5. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

When the FCC stopped issuing licenses on "OFFICIAL" paper, i.e. my last renewal, it was e- filed and issued. Went to the web site entered my info, and printed out my new license. Regular printer paper. Well at least across it says "Official Copy". According to the document I read from the FCC, they stated that they were no longer issuing Licenses of the "Special Document Paper" because of the cost. I can understand the necessity to go electronic filing, but the license sure looks nice on "Official Document Paper"

KB2SUJ likes this.
  6. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sincerely apologize for repeating a phrase which seems to offend so many, so greatly. I work in law enforcement and we make jokes among our selves which are much crasser, in order to stay sane while simultaneously dealing with the horrors to which we're exposed on an almost daily basis. I am well-aquainted with 'dialing it down' when dropping the magazine and unchambering my weapon after I get out of the car. I suppose I took a liberty I shouldn't have, but I never intended to disrespect my fellow bretheren in the hobby and stand corrected as to my ill spoken attempt at humor.

7. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When are we all going to figure out that the FCC has already, due to budget, made up its mind that paper is dead. What you think does not matter. Don’t waste any heart beats getting up set because we really don’t matter. I renewed my license on line and downloaded the pdf. Cost nothing. I am 68 and if I can do it anyone can. Just remember, as far as the FCC is concerned, you are no bigger than a pimple on a blue whale’s ass.

8. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly. For a yearly fee of $50, they'll renew for free. :)

KR4MT, WA5VGO and KB2SUJ like this.
  9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

CERTAINLY electronic filing for renewals should be accomplished ASAP as it just makes sense. New licenses, resulting from testing, might be a caution; especially in places such as L.A. where licenses are sold to non qualified persons.

10. KD2KIQ

KD2KIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

“In an effort to save the planet, ULS will be shutting down entirely in 2024 to save electricity.” (Just a joke )

11. N2UNJ

N2UNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KI7IIM

KI7IIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, let me get this straight...Someone said the OF's that use modes like JT65, FT8, WSPR, etc let alone DMR, D-Star and CM4 with all the software, pi stars, routers, etc. are going to encounter issues figuring out how to print a PDF file? o_Oo_Oo_O

K3SZ likes this.
  13. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

So, so true. This is about nothing. Just print the dam thing at home. Get over it

KI7IIM likes this.
  14. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I do that for driver's licenses and $100 bills. Works for me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Lower Alabama?