ad: Flexradio-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

You're correct......The FCC hasn't adequately policed the Ham bands for decades. I think they'll turn it all over to the ARRL, and effectively ditch Amateur Radio in it's entirety. No "young punk" here.....63 years young, and have been Hamming for 50-years. IMO, the FCC is more interested in selling our bands than they are in policing them.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the rule change has already been done.
    This is just fulfilling the legal public input requirement.
    https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-19-87A1.pdf

ORDERING CLAUSES
    IT IS ORDERED, pursuant to the authority found in sections 1, 4(i), and 303 of the Communications Act of 1934, 47 U.S.C. §§ 151, 154(i), and 303, that this Notice of Proposed Rulemaking IS HEREBY ADOPTED. . IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that, pursuant to applicable procedures set forth in sections 1.415 and 1.419 of the Commission’s rules, 47 CFR §§ 1.415, 1.419, interested parties may file U.S.C. § 603. Federal Communications Commission FCC comments on the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on or before 30 days after publication in the Federal Register and reply comments on or before 45 days after publication in the Federal Register.

Oddly enough, You can still file a paper response to the NRPM, but, there are many rules you must comply with.

Paper Filers: Parties who choose to file by paper must file an original and four copies of each filing. If more than one docket or rulemaking number appears in the caption of this proceeding, filers must submit two additional copies for each additional docket or rulemaking number.

Filings can be sent by hand or messenger delivery, by commercial overnight courier, or by first class or overnight U.S. Postal Service mail . All filings must be addressed to the Commission’s Secretary, Office of the Secretary, Federal Communications Commission

Jeez

3. W4GOG

W4GOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea i agree with u. To me it dosnt matter. Im old fart. well 36 yr old. But i can print my out. So really no big deal.
    73 W4GOG

4. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup why bother anymore its all cb radio now days open to do or say anything and zero technical knowledge. Toughest thing for newer hams these days is a dull box cutter.

N2NOW and WD8ED like this.
  5. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

no problem it makes sence at this day of web and email and Pc's ...unless you still drive a model T.......lol

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet you could print your license on the unprinted inside of a Cheerios cereal box.
    You'll have to try that soon enough... ;):p:cool:

7. KG7IRJ

KG7IRJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you consider the fact that if you go portable you are to have your license with you. Where dose that leave you?

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you provide a link to Part 97 of the FCC rules and regulations that indicate you need to have your license with you when operating portable? Just read over the rules and regs and could not find that requirement. Thank You.

9. W5QWX

W5QWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I am a 77 year old fart and use the web for about everything. I do wish the FCC would make the ham ticket valid for life, just like my commercial tickt and the FAA licenses that only expire on death. Just saying it would save even more time, paper, and money. Has anyone bought stamps lately?

10. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where I am now. I printed an official copy of my license (which the ULS provides as a PDF), laminated the wallet-sized card it contained, and put it in my wallet. I recommend that every licensed ham do this.

11. N2UNJ

N2UNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WHEW!!! THIS OPENED UP A CAN OF WORMS!!! THIS "OLD FART" AT 60 WILL BE FINE WHEN I RENEW IN 2023 I'M SURE! LOTS OF US "OLD FARTS" CAN FIGURE THINGS OUT! WHY GOLLY WE DONE PASSED OUR TESTS DIDN'T WE Y'ALL? GIT 'R DONE!!! 73'S o_O:eek:;)

W1YW likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no need for a mailed hardcopy.

Just download and print.

No need to insult a majority of users here to make that point.

13. KD8EFQ

KD8EFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's aight. Us hacker/pirates are already scribbling on our "REFERENCE COPY" (paper) with our broken crayons that we stole.
    (Intended as uncensored humor)

14. WB9IIV/SK2024

WB9IIV/SK2024 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I'm 86 and don't really give a .. ;)

AE8W likes this.
  15. WB9ROK

WB9ROK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's insulting to the staff at the FCC. There is nothing dishonest about their work.

AA4MB, KU4X, W4EAE and 1 other person like this.