ad: MLSons-1

Mysterious signals from West Africa on 28 MHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

could it be?

[​IMG]

MM0IMC and W5TTP like this.
  2. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

K4XJ, over the horizon radar has made a very strong comeback over the last decade. IARU-R1 QRM monitors frequently pick up OTH radars on 10m, most likely Soviet-style equipment used by former Soviet Empire countries and places affiliated with but not officially part of the USSR. Iran in particular makes heavy use of old Soviet radio equipment-in the mid-2000s I noticed them using a bubble jammer to jam BBC Farsi, and they also seem to use Soviet Woodpecker OTH radars. It's possible that the Putin govt makes use of woodpecker OTH radars located in the former Soviet Republics. Putin isn't making the mistake that Brezhnev did with Duga-3 where most of Europe was hearing the woodpecker on landline telephones (among other places it shouldn't have been) because the Duga installation was far too powerful. Few hams use 10m nowadays and the Putin govt has realized that OTH radar can be as effective without the megablast signal that Duga-3 had, so they limit the current radars to 10m and the only ones who care are the IARU. A 60m Russian OTH is very likely-another area where nobody notices or cares.

KD7WPJ and KQ6XA like this.
  3. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that may be, but this is the first time I have heard them since the 1990's

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

:(

5. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Monitoring 27.385 LSB and 27.165 AM are two of the many great tools when looking for a 10m opening in your region. And vy good on 29 MHz AM.. During openings I call cq right near 29.02 MHz. 73, Eric

PU5KNB and KC2YMO like this.
  6. N6SPP

"...most hams..." might not be using that part of the band.. But us 10m die-hard fans are. 73, Eric (n6spp/b, 28.2179 MHz,cm96dm)

WF7BSR and MM0TFU like this.
  7. N6SPP

Go easy on 60m.. As an active 60m operator since week one (about 17 yrs now).. I care :)

WF7BSR likes this.
  8. KG5SHO

KG5SHO Ham Member QRZ Page

A Used Ham Shackapotty

W4HM likes this.
  9. KC5TJS

KC5TJS Ham Member QRZ Page

If more folks would do something similar then we might have more activity on 10. About 12 years ago a friend had given me an old CB antenna.."CLR II" I think. At first I though about scavenging it for parts when it dawned on me this would make a great 10 m antenna and it does, LOL! It's pretty much flat between 28.300 and 28.500 and still low swr from there up into 29.000 portion of the band. I could use this antenna for a lot of things.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Another really good one is 28.425... Todd is on practically 24/7 calling CQ on "his" frequency, even when the band is dead.

I always advise tuning 28.200 to 28.300 for beacons - even if you can't copy Morse just count the number you hear. If you hear NONE, obviously the band is dead. But if you tune the dial and hear signal after signal you can well assume the band is open. Of course, if you are able to copy the call sign and grid, you'll know to where the band is open and that's obviously better

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.
  11. N6SPP

Hi Jason KE0TNL- Shoot me an email.. I have a short "cw characters/tips" pdf for you, if you'd like. 73,Eric

K0GOV likes this.
  12. K3WKK

K3WKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY ACTIVITY ON 10 METERS IN SO LONG, I THOUGHT IT WAS A NONE AMATEUR BAND ALREADY...

13. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's odd lol I've been using it all weekend and made many voice contacts on there, including the route 66 special event call W6H. I'm hearing activity on there right now on 28.400.

KA2FIR and W7UUU like this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You must not actually get on the air on 10m much. Even out here in the Pacific Northwest that never sees much propagation during a down cycle I'm able to work lots of stations.

Get on 28.400 and call CQ... I do it all the time and it works great.

If all everyone did was just listen, and never call, you'll never have any idea if the band opened up

Dave
    W7UUU

AB5WX and KA2FIR like this.
  15. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YES , Don't be a SCOPE HEAD! Quit watching your rigs scope and call CQ once in a while. Everybody watches their scope waiting for a signal. You could extend your scope to see the beacon part of the 10m band or just go there (28.180(??) to 28.300 Listen for a beacon. If you hear one from PA, you know the band is open to PA. Hear one from TX, it's open to TX!. Of course you need to know cw or have a piece of software that will decode CW for you. Most beacons are running anything from 1/2 watt to 10 watts. If you hear one chances are you will be heard running 100 watts. A few weeks ago I searched the beacons to see what was there and found one in Canada. near Maine. I swung my Quagi around and pointed it at Maine. Walla! Had five qso's that nite, all from Maine. The next night I heard a Manitoba Canada beacon and had several QSO's to some Midwestern states and Manitoba. Beacons really help. If you hear one, send em a QSL or email to the op with your QTH, signal report, date, and time you heard their beacon. Beacon ops like to hear who's getting their signal too!

Back to the signal from Africa........... Funny to hear this, I just worked an op from Gabon. We were on 80 meters using FT8. His call started with TR8. I will be listening on 28.2506 for the "dots" to see what I can hear!

Don't forget to check out Ten-Ten International ! Lot's of 10 meter info there.
    de 10-10 35510
    Jim

KA2FIR and AB5WX like this.