ad: cq2k-1

First 10 Days with a New Flex-6400

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6OIX, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6OIX

N6OIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The first 10 days with my "baby", a new Flex Radio 6400 was not completely what I expected.

f2.jpg

First, with excitement on getting a text message alert that my package was "OUT FOR DELIVERY" I moved two of my security camera's to watch for the BIG BROWN TRUCK. I live in a gated community and with new drivers they do not know to access the code for entry. The camera's would allow me to see the street towards the gate and the back one would see the outside area of the gate. At 2:14pm the magic happened and the big brown truck stopped at my door.

Opening the package to get this baby wired and online was the first business at hand. Took all of 10 minutes!
    Watching it boot up the first time and connecting SmartSDR from my PC was a fantastic experience. It is alive!

I spent the next hour learning and setting up a few of the limitless options and adjusting my new HyperX (red) USB mic so it sounded the way I wanted for different profile. Next was wiring the Elecraft KPA500 AMP and KAT500 Auto Tuner for full tracking. This was to easy.

f3bbbb.jpg

I made the first contact to a IOWA station from my Tucson AZ QTH. I called CQ on 20 meters and he came back after the first call. He said wow what are you using at your station the audio sounds fantastic. I told him it was my first contact with the Flex Radio 6400. He gave endless praise and this was the start of many more reports stating the same.

That first night on a 40m net I attend every night with around 90 listed members was my most contacts on this net. It seemed everyone wanted to call and my reports were the best I have ever received. Again audio was stated over and over that I have never sounded so good in the past.

f1.jpg

The next day I installed the SmartSDR iOS on my iphone and ipad before heading out with my wife for some shopping. I waited in the car while she did some shopping to experience remote operations on the device you have with you all the time. After launching the app and the screen coming to life, hearing and seeing my home station blew my mind. I could not believe it to be real. It was perfect.

I watched the waterfall as it displayed active stations and with a simple touch and swipe I was tuning from station to station with perfect control. There was a station in Texas calling CQ so I hit the PTT button and placed my first mobile call to him. He answered me on my first call and we started a 20 minute QSO while receiving a great report both S9 and unreal audio. He even asked me to text him a screen shot as he could not believe I was mobile on an iPhone. The user experience is a real eye opener for sure with SmartSDR for iOS.

IMG_0186.jpg

When switching from a radio with knobs and dials that I have used for many years seems a bit strange but after the first few days of operations you will be wondering why you did not move to the future sooner. The SmartSDR offers so many features after 10 days I am still finding crazy good things this radio does while some other radios might offer these functions, its the easy way you see and access, use these features.

On my old radio, I turn on, tune to some freq and that was about it. Not the case with Flex Radio as you "SEE" what is going on in detail. The one biggest enjoyments using this radio is noise control. This is were it really shines. You have so many options to drop the noise to almost "ZERO" while hearing stations you would have never been able to hear before. With the band conditions being so bad, this radio can bring joy back to your shack.

20190829_164309.jpg

My experience over the first 10 days has been a true unreal almost unbelievable experience. I hope others have a chance to touch, see and play with this future feeling technology. Its out of this world!

N6OIX

PY2BBQ, KM6VXX, W3KW and 18 others like this.
  2. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice. No doubt that SDR platforms are the wave of the future, especially the embedded ones. Who would have imagined even just a few years ago that you would be able to access and use your ham radio gear from a small device and from virtually anywhere? I've been lucky enough to have experienced both radio worlds new & old and it never fails to amaze me when I look backward, present and forward on Radio Road ;) :)

3. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

P.S. - Your first 3 pictures are of advertising quality - you should offer them to Flex Radio :)

PY2BBQ, PY2RN, K4WRX and 3 others like this.
  4. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KB9OAK, WD8ED, N6WMD and 9 others like this.
  5. W4HLD

W4HLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steven for taking the time to post this. I'm shopping for a new rig and have been giving Flex strong consideration. This post was very helpful!

6. W4HLD

W4HLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious why you selected the 6400 versus other models? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

What on earth did amateur radio do before computers and the Internet? I can't imagine.

8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice setup! I agree with LZR... strike a photo deal with Flex!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K7SWT likes this.
  9. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear Santa, i have been a good boy (somewhat) this year... LOL!

and yes, a very nice command center you have;)

10. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad you like the radio, but this is NOT a REVIEW. You are just bragging about your new rig. Now, that is OK, and I am not jealous or dissing the rig, as everyone should be as excited and as exuberant with his new rig as you are. But, you should not market this post as a "review," as it is merely a comment after an un-boxing lacking any technical information beyond the fact it works as you expect. Moreover, the fact you live in a gated community is irrelevant to using the radio. And, it is possible your first contacts were so good only because the other station has a huge yagi or log periodic with 20 dB gain atop a 75 foot tower in a quiet rural setting doing the heavy lifting in both directions.

I am truly pleased you like the rig, but this is not a product review. Enjoy your new rig.

Just MY take. K8JHR

KA2FIR, WA9JOQ, VA3CWT and 12 others like this.
  11. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What type of screen are you using? Looks so wide!
    Tnx de Arnie W8DU

12. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed the article, review ..what ever someone wants you to call it , semantics kill me.

I am Glad the 6400 is living up to your expectations. I am considering the same setup 6400 + KAT/KPA500 combo. Good Luck with the new radio

Kurt - W1WWA

AB3QD, K0WJ, KC2YMO and 3 others like this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Geez.... harsh the buzz much!

Dave
    W7UUU

M7MCQ, W1KRI, W3KW and 4 others like this.
  14. VE7DXH

VE7DXH Ham Member QRZ Page

Very impressive! I do wonder at what price ? Thank you for sharing your experience de VE7DXH
    73s de Garnie.

15. WA1TOM

WA1TOM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard you on the net you mentioned and was amazed at your signal. I have done some research and will be getting a 6400 soon, I will be on the radio more because of the remote operation capabilities. Thanks for the story.