ad: elecraft

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7ZD

VE7ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Canada eliminated paper license renewals about 15 years ago. No problems at all that I have heard of. It makes sense now that email and network access has reached the vast majority of the public, in he “first world” at least.

2. K6DGQ

K6DGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of us old farts were around when there were not any PC' s and probably know as much or more than you youngsters. But the main thing to remember before commenting on someone age, is that we old farts kept the hobby alive and health for you to enjoy today. Bob

N4GST, K4XJ, VK6APZ/SK2022 and 2 others like this.
  3. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure most any V.E. Team can and will take care of online renewals for anyone who isn't computer literate if asked.

K2NCC and KB2SUJ like this.
  4. KI7RPM

KI7RPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well i guess im an Old Fart im 57 but i dont see any issue with doing renewals on-line
    seeing as we (OLD FARTS) do our banking online how many of us buy parts for our radios on line ?
    I myself IMHO would rather send my renewal application on line than send it out by snail mail
    and wait six to eight weeks to get my renewal in the meantime im wondering what is taking so long
    on line is next day you got mail heres your renewal certificate print it out save a copy to my fcc folder and im all set

BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION

ADAPT WITH THE CHANGING TIMES OR GET LEFT BEHIND
    REMEMBER THE VIEW AT THE BACK OF THE PACK NEVER CHANGES

KU4X and K2NCC like this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a Postal Worker... I go postal every time someone starts talking about old farts... Fair Warning...

K4XJ and KI7RPM like this.
  6. KI7RPM

KI7RPM Ham Member QRZ Page

When the Internet Fails Not If But When because it will happen then it wont really matter what happens next radio will be the only way to communicate
    and well to be honest the FCC will No Longer exist all of the licence records since im guessing 95 ? are electronic guess what
    poof they are gone cause the only thing capable of taking down the internet will also affect databases computers and even some amateur radios
    is a EMP so who cares if the FCC wants to do all online renewals let them ill do it and if any one who need their licence renewed come see me ill do it for you

as for 90 yr old hams having trouble with computers ? i know a bunch of 90 yr old hams that know more about computers that i do

7. F8WBD

F8WBD Guest

Would the USA license now have an e-mail address on the printed copy rather than a mailing address? I believe the PO mailing address was required in order that the FCC would be able to contact (by USPS) the license holder.

WQ4G likes this.
  8. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m an old fart. Now what was the question?

N4GST likes this.
  9. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Old farts life’s matter.

AA4MB likes this.
  10. W0TDH

W0TDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, in every box of Cracker Jack's.....along with your No-Code Proficiency Certificate.....

K4XJ and K9UR like this.
  11. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure wish QST and ARRL would go paperless ... the magazine has become so thin due to printing and mailing cost that is hardly worth reading - all the good stuff has been removed. Maybe going digital like the FCC is proposing for license renewal will he an improvement in efficiency and allow for better content.

12. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

No need for a license they are gimmies and very few UNDERSTANDS the R&R as written.

KR4MT and K3XR like this.
  13. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All you fellows who are so madly in love with gadgets, computers, and progress progress progress, remember your posts when you change address, upgrade or renew with FCC on line, and there's some kind of glitch as there always is eventually, and then you are on the phone to FCC "customer service" or whatever they call it, but wait, you have to deal with the automated phone menu robot, and then pee away your time listening to music while you are on hold, that's when I want you to think about how you could have just filled out a form and put it in the mail in all of 15 minutes and been done with it.

I have the minimal number of modern electronic garbage needed to get by, only because I have to have this junk if I want to buy radio parts etc. but I'd happily go back to doing everything with paper and USPS if the world magically reverted to the year 1975. You will find that your shiny new doo dads come at a price: precious time spent dealing with complications, glitches and crap outs and when your remaining years dwindle, you will come to resent spending part of your free time dealing with phone menus, and explaining to someone who reads to you from a script, what your problem is.

Oh, and then there's the way all these modern gadgets are set up to vacuum your wallet every month--the days of buying something and paying for it one time and then using it for the next 30 years seem to be long gone, along with retirement plans, since young folks blow their money on gadgets instead of saving.

K4XJ, KN4SKF and N9LYA like this.
  14. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i like that little FCC callsign card i carry in my wallet so when Mr. Police Man/Woman pulls me over for talking on my cell phone i can show them its Amateur Radio & my license to operate. LOL!!!

times are changing - sometimes for the better, hmm........ my opinion only folks!

KI7RPM and N9LYA like this.
  15. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets Party like it's 1999