ad: elecraft

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost.

2. KS2G

ARRL does renewals for members at no cost.

3. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what you are saying is as a paying member of ARRL, they will renew your license at no cost?

K4XJ, N1SPX and WA5VGO like this.
  4. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I printed mine at home and asked the FCC to send a printed one. Exactly the same quality paper. So what's the big deal?

5. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy to do everything online if possible. I only need to print the license for when I travel to other countries, or to prove I have one when guest-operating somewhere.

6. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And they only have to come to town once every then years ;-)

KU4X likes this.
  7. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes sense to start the process. Only problem I see is I went to the ULS this morning and it was down. Hopefully the local clubs will be able to help people with the filings if necessary.

8. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I am one of those old timers...I passed all the Amateur radio licenses and the commercial FCC licenses at the NY FCC Office..

There was nothing more exciting than passing the FCC license at old NY FCC office and then waiting a few weeks later to see your FCC licenses coming through the mail (Same with the commercial 1st and 2nd class FCC licenses).

My point is, the process of learning, passing and getting the piece of paper was truly gratifying.

All good

Tom, NN2X, C U on the bands..

WA5VGO, WQ4G, N2JNR and 1 other person like this.
  9. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can’t comment till OF (old fogey) is defined. Just a precautionary step on my part so the definition can’t be used to define me.

Randy
    Chesapeake Va

10. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am an old fart and I see no problem with going paperless, no reason for it, if you want to download and print that's up to you.

WY7BG likes this.
  11. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this mean that I can't renew my license with my Commodore VIC-20 PC anymore?

Wah Wah kids!

12. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe, if the FCC stops using paper, an industrious third party can provide licenses printed on sheepskin parchment? ;-)

AA4MB likes this.
  13. KS2G

14. KS2G

The FCC has already "stopped using paper" for Amateur Radio licenses.
    Your license is not a piece of paper; it's the record in the ULS.
    The FCC will send you an "Official Copy" on request -- printed on plain white bond paper.
    Or you can download an "Official Copy" pdf from the ULS yourself and print it on any kind of paper you want. ;)

15. N5PHT

N5PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

My comment - WOW - K5ZYZ is an actual callsign - my Son Matt Stone!!!!!! How odd.