ad: TinyPaddle-1

Equifax Breach and Settlement

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by NE2X, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you may remember the Equifax Security Breach back in 2017....
    Over 140 million people were involved with their pedigree information compromised.
    700 $ million dollars has been put aside. I would check the bottom link and file asap. All that is needed is the last 6 numbers of your social and last name.

I am posting the original article on CNN, and the actual site for verification to see if you were impacted. I was and filed a $ 125.00 claim. Many of my family and friends have also..

Here is the CNN US article
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/26/us/e...cegq5pBRkCnUOKSML9_czDHntPUTRmL8clWDBUPyi2cME

Here is the site to see if you have a claim to be paid.

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachse...8CaD8qdmh3tnYorXCsmyBJ7fZCC9siCQUu0Nywj92_5gs

Peace

Alan B Monday Jr NE2X

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Real or a scam to better get your personal info?

KC1HLU, KG7FIU and K6CLS like this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

here's USA Today on why you probably won't get the $125

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...mers-site-glitches-you-wont-get-125/39867105/

Depending on your paranoia level ... consider getting an immediate credit freeze, and opt out of the settlement before November 19th, so that you retain the right to sue for damages separately.

The offered 10 years of credit monitoring appears to be generous, but remember the bad guys have your info forever! and much of your info is "unrevokeable", you can't just change your SSN like a password. Gee, now 10 years seems really chinsey, for something I shouldn't need in the first place.

K8XG and KM1H like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some are getting 6 digits instead of 4.

Maybe even 9. :eek:

KM1H likes this.
  6. KC1HLU

KC1HLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't sell/verify my personal info over the web for such little potential compensation. What's to say that the database of those filing is so secure?

Besides wrt SSNs, the 1st 3 digits designate the office you got your SSN from, the next two can pretty accurately be guessed by your age (I used to be very good at this when I was a police officer). Only the last 4 are sequentially issued numbers.

K8XG likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many have been suckered in to the scam. :eek:

Click here to get a free credit report.

8. KC1HLU

KC1HLU Ham Member QRZ Page

And enough people will file that the actual payout will probably be closer to 10% (or less) of the alleged $125/person.

Offering credit monitoring is a joke . . . you'll get told AFTER your identity is stolen that you are screwed! Lot of good that does, and it cost these guys almost nothing to offer such a (not) generous deal to the public.

N0OCR, KC1DR, K8XG and 1 other person like this.