ad: ProAudio-1

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Time for the waders. It's getting deep here.....................

W3FHT likes this.
  2. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is getting tiresome yaaawn! why not rant about how many illegal CB type amplifiers with numerous 'pills' sold on eBay as ham amplifiers with awful spectral purity, this is a great little radio that run with the firmware as is does not transmit out of band! The Chinese rip everything off and it is only going to get worse

KF4ZKU likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'take away' is post #74.

Get it?

Chip W1YW

4. W4DNQ

W4DNQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and it is hurting our economy!
    I bought my kit from Chris and have close to the latest groups firmware running in it.
    It was a great project and I enjoyed the build. At that time u could purchase the case from China for it.

K9CTB likes this.
  5. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I'd better get "verified" on this thang ... I thought earlier that the price of the chicom rig might be the thing that sells US hams on these clones .... but I did a bit of math and found that Chris' offering (M0NKA) is about the same price by the time a case is selected, etc. Sure you have to do some through-the-hole soldering, but it ain't much in return for what you learn about SDR from the kit, the forums, the attention Chris gives folks to ask questions, etc, etc. But a hearty "hear, here" about the issues previously mentioned .... here we have a general trade war going on with the chicoms, then we have the IP problem (which extends far beyond these cloned radios - there's software, hardware, other patented items - even military stuff) .... PLUS the regulations we agreed to follow when we were issued our FCC licenses! All-in-all, these things are being addressed with the chicoms, and they don't like it. We're saying "neither do we" ... and we're doing something about it. We could do more if we just support our fellow hams like Chris .... if we support our usual vendors like YaeKenCom who, btw, jumped through all the FCC hoops to bring us these great radios we use ..... and support each other to make sure we all stay unified against what is just plain wrong. I think we can do it. I still have faith in fellow hams. I know I just don't show it often enough. Please accept my showing it here. :)

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes:

BUY FROM CHRIS.

;-)

AB2YC and KA2FIR like this.
  7. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with this statement and I hope that everyone who has this attitude about an HF QRP rig also has the same viewpoint about hotspots, antennas, and other items that are made BY Amateur Operators, otherwise it's a bit hypocritical.

As far as the YouTube show "pushing" this radio, I suspect one would be quite out of touch with new products on the market because I heard about this Ailunce version several months ago.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks or expanding:)

When the FCC takes action it is definitive and global.

I cited the 'pocket jammer' example because they and their use disappeared because of extensive government enforcement. Quickly.

There is no subtelty when enforcement kicks in. Better not to buy illegal imports at all rather than write them off later.

Chip W1YW

9. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I was agreeing with the comment about supporting a fellow ham though. I didn't mention anything about illegal imports, but of course I do agree with your statement there also.

W1YW likes this.
  10. AB2YC

AB2YC Guest QRZ Page

I have one here I got from him a couple of years ago, it's a nice radio that most hams should be able to build.

W1YW likes this.
  11. N5KIR

N5KIR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just can not purchase china made radios they seem to be trying to under cut the sale of our long time brand name radio equipment.
    The steal intellectual property and are getting away with it for now.

12. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO warranty could be a problem. If a complete radio doesn’t work it should be repaired or replaced. If a kit doesn’t work it could be easy to refuse warranty service under the pretext that the user broke it himself during assembly. Even if we are talking about fully assembled and tested boards that just need to be putted in a case.

13. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting video. The rig looks sound and appears to work very well, but I am concerned with the rip-off of the fact that it was designed and published has open source with the caviate of it not to be used commercialy. If M0MKA has licenced Ailunce the rights to manufacture the radio then that is a different matter. I'm no leagal expert but it does bother me that this is what we are getting more and more now. Thank's for the video. 73 de John - G0WXU.