ad: MyersEng-1

Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6UBO

N6UBO Ham Member QRZ Page

We lost 220 MHz through a lack of use. I have trouble believing that 2Mtr, as widely used, and overused as it is in large population areas, would suffer the same fate.

Also, there are international aviation organizations that would have to sign off on this. You can't have different freq's in different countries. Look at how long the aviation community has been waffling on the simple change from AM to FM for av freq's.

2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, "breaking the law is not what ham radio is all about." But it is what CB radio is all about, and people who say they are going to break the law and are using 2 meter band might be hinting that they are former (or current) CB radio users. Just a hunch.

3. WH6DWF

WH6DWF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the Amateur radio community should demand France or any other country to provide a 2 meter buy back program at 300% of equipment value if they are serious about going after the 2 meter band. 73’

Todd Wilson
    WH6DWF

4. W8LM

W8LM Ham Member QRZ Page

If they need "more spectrum" why don't they use what they got more effectively like we are forced to do.. Instead of AM (carrier plus 2 identical sidebands) they go to SSB or Digital DMR with 2 time slots.. They can spend a few million for a plane.. what's a new $400 radio..After all they are using the same 1938 technology.. Now I quote... "In the US the civil aircraft communications band (118-137 MHz) generally uses 25 kHz spaced channels. As of 2010 aeronautical enroute and flight test stations may use 8.33 kHz spaced channels in the 121.4-123.6, 128.825-132.0 and 136.5-136.875 MHz ranges. Why not use 8.33Khz completely across all 19 Megahertz? We use 2.5Khz... 19Megahertz and they need more?!?!?!? give me a break...BTW- AM broadcast uses 10Khz channels and they play music. Some stations sidebands are Left & right channels too....DUH!

N2AMM and KF7PCL like this.
  5. KC2DMH

KC2DMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

World governments don't care where we go, just that we go away. Imagine if the French proposal were to be put into place, and the detriment to all amateur radio service in the 144-146 Mhz band allotment. There are only 2 opposition countries so far, I believe they need 8 to stop this action. Years ago, in the US, they stole 220 t0 223 Mhz, and sold it to UPS, who then decided to sell the allotment - and at a considerable profit. In the US it has become "government by and for the businesses" - they stuff the congressman's pocket. The rulers (not representatives) in congress don't give a damn about The People.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I mistaken, or did a similar thing happen to 220-222 MHz on the US side ..... wherein a sort of "band" of territory along the US northern border was also a no-use zone? I mean, weren't we in the US forbidden to use 220-222 MHz along the northern border (about a 150 mile wide strip) .... until the FCC actually gave that part of our band to the UPS? I'm asking because I don't remember exactly, but if the French proposal passes, wouldn't this have a similar effect for US hams along the Canadian border? I didn't go through *all* the messages on this thread, so if I missed an answer please .... just one guy flame me and I'll get it. No need to dogpile .... I'm getting to the age where that kinda hurts. :) I have to say that I assume Canadian hams will do what hams worldwide do in this situation .... they'll make sure all their PUBSERV activity on the threatened band is documented and submitted to authority before any legislation begins. I'll bet they do a LOT of PUBSERV up there .... and I'm sure it will count for something -- here's hoping!

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember any restrictions on 220-225 north of Line A as is the case with the 420-430 MHz band. If there were restrictions currently they would be spelled out in §97.303 Frequency sharing requirements.

K9CTB likes this.
  8. N8KZ

N8KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

144.230 Mhz, USB SSB EVERYDAY NET AT 8:30 PM EST U.S. All are welcome to join in and put a bean in the pot. We welcome all our Canadian ham brothers to this net and appreciate the effort in time, antennas and radio equipment required to join us here. We here in the U.S. have the common bond of our hobby that brings us together. It is important that we stand together in protecting our fellows hams from being disenfranchised from our amateur radio activities. ALL US HAMS SHOULD HELP PROTECT OUR HAM FRIENDS IN CANADA ! We we go one we go all!

9. W5HEX

W5HEX Ham Member QRZ Page

And don't forget all the amateur satellites flying around too. That would be an expensive buy back program.

10. IU1HHP

IU1HHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Italian ham radio community don't like this French proposal.

WS4JM likes this.