ad: wmr-1

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just read the FCC notice.

Generalized verbiage which applies to wit:....

..."For example, some can be modified to transmit on public safety and other land mobile channels for which they are not authorized, while others are capable of prohibited wideband operations.2 Such radios are illegal, and many have the potential to negatively affect public safety, aviation, and other operations by Federal, state, and local agencies, as well as private users. Because these devices must be, but have not been, authorized by the FCC, the devices may not be imported into the United States, retailers may not advertise or sell them, and no one may use them. Rather, these devices may only be imported, advertised, sold, or used only if the FCC first has approved them under its equipment authorization process (or unless the devices operate exclusively on frequencies reserved for amateur licensees or they are intended for use exclusively by the federal government). Moreover, with only very limited exceptions, after being authorized, the devices may not be modified. Anyone importing, advertising or selling such noncompliant devices should stop 1 47 CFR § 2.803(b)(1). Importing, advertising and selling are three aspects of “marketing” under the Commission’s rules. Specifically, marketing “includes [the] sale or lease, or offering for sale or lease, including advertising for sale or lease, or importation, shipment, or distribution for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease... Violators may be subject to substantial monetary penalties..."

The fact that they imported from PRC is incidental.

The point of law is , well, the point.

OK :)?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Um, Ron? Here's a quote from Chris: Let's do OUR homework before we pull a California on others, shall we?

"It was brought to my attention by many OMs that the full kit is available on Ebay from few power sellers, based in HK/China. Just want to clarify that those sales have nothing to do with me or have been authorized by me in any way. It is in a breach of the mcHF project licence terms where all files and documentation is offered for non commercial use only, for advancing of the amateur radio hobby and experimentation."

N6MEJ, KF4ZKU, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  3. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. What a mess. Sorry Chris. Thank you for your knowledge, hard work and generosity. All much appreciated by those who will stay true to the idea.

KA2FIR and W1YW like this.
  4. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And if nothing has changed since this video was made, then they are still illegal. Question is how can they have passed the FCC approval process under Part 90 if they are clearly in violation of part 97?
    https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-980A1.pdf

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are confused.

A radio cannot be certified under both Parts, but MUST be certified. The FCC notice is regarding uncertified radios being sold new.

K9CTB, AK5B, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA2K

Many of the radios that are made illegal by this FCC enforcement have passed Part 90 FCC certification. Of course the FCC enforcement notice includes non-certified radios - that's a given under any circumstances.

7. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Snore time....It's amazing how little Hams read or understand basic internatiionally law......

WU8Y, WQ4G, W0FW and 1 other person like this.
  8. KA2K

So this comment is the extent of your effort to enlighten us? Not sure what you are trying to say, but perhaps you would like to elaborate and help clarify the issue, instead of making hit and run worthless contributions. The forum is a place to ask and learn, not be insulted by smart alecs.

AK5B, W4EGE, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  9. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 918 mcHF clone with 2.11.55 firmware and it does not transmit out of band when I go beyond the band limit output power is switched to 5 milliwatts, I believe the software for the 918 has always followed the open source license, I know the 928 which uses different firmware has been programmed not following the license by some people, Mike K0JTA has a groups.io for this radio and there is a thread there about the differences in firmware

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does evidence exist for FCC cert on this (imported) transeiver?

Not the kit.

KA2FIR likes this.
  11. KD9LTQ

KD9LTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

ZZZZZZZ! When it gets this complicated I'll just buy it and ask forgiveness later.:eek::rolleyes:

This reminds me of the US Gummint vehicle exhaust smog mandates starting around 1971. It created an all new industry in bypass pipes, a run on earlier carbs, manifolds and distributors in the junk yards.

My "smog controlled" 1972 Oldsmobile 98 Custom Cruiser wagon with the 455 and mandated Quadracrap carb got 6-8 mpg best case. Ripping all that crap off, picking up parts from a 69, rebuilding the 69 carb on the workbench, and it was a solid 16 on the highway. When I sold it at 320K it was still running well (on a second carb overhaul) and the new owner finally junked it at 450K when the body and floors were too rusted to pass inspection. Still using the original transmission and basic engine back when GM actually knew how to build quality products.

AK5B, WN1MB, K0PIR and 2 others like this.
  13. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not sell it as a kit, like having to fit the knobs which at least 80% of Hams could possibly manage. Would be a great radio to up skill with and give the armchair experts something to assemble that actually works?

14. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

(or unless the devices operate exclusively on frequencies reserved for amateur licensees

15. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

So is my 7300 illegal now that it has been tampered with? Am I not allowed to use it on the new 60 meter band? What about future allocations?
    I understand there's the letter of the law, but I think it should always be run what you brung! However, it also assumed that the radio amateur should possess enough technical knowledge to insure he operates with the proper spectral purity too!

KD9LTQ likes this.