ad: elecraft

Buddipole Reaches New Heights with Mastwerks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6FAK, Jul 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If your memory is correct....YIPES!

Thanks Randy & 73!

W4FAS, AJ4LN and K4AGO like this.
  2. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At 3 feet ASL I am definitely vertically challenged. But my Buddipole has worked well for my QRP work and does DX nicely. Something about take off angle. I have met Chris and his father at Dayton and had several discussions about guying and element support in windy conditions. They have been very helpful and offered lots of suggestions. I have seen continual improvement in the product line and quality of components over the past several years. The new taller mast line has some good potential. I expect they will post prices online as hey get that more refined. I would like to see a remotely tunable coil, but since you have to change element length it still has to come down for most changes. When you try something like a StepIR single element that can be adjusted in place, you add a lot of weight and make it hard to support.

K6FAK likes this.
  3. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

OOH....I like this.
    However, I tremble at the expected price...Ouch

4. W3LES

W3LES Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess your right W9HBH
    "Red flag no pricing on web site, old saying if you have to ask you can't afford it. May have to wait for MFJ's copy" although I could never
    understand why they do it..,,,

5. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no pricing on a lot of web sites... it isn't an indication of anything really. It is really just a marketing ploy to get you to call or further research the product by viewing other marketing materials, calling a sales person, or in other ways getting involved with the product- all of which will gear you towards a purchase when you see how great it is (their thinking).

Price is only an obstacle in the absence of value. And the more you look at a product, in general, the more chance you will have of finding the value in it. Then when you see the price, you'll more often than not justify it.

If I told you an antenna "mast" was $5000 you would probably balk at it. If you then saw it was a small crank over tower that could support a massive antenna, your thinking would probably change and you'd think $5000 was a bargain... because the value of the tower went up when you saw what it could do.

I would never begrudge a manufacturer for not including pricing. On the contrary, I think they are more looking for customers who want to interact with their products prior to making a purchase rather than simple "price shoppers" who always want the cheapest thing they can get their hands on.

Having said all of that, I think you also have a case here of a new product and the web site hasn't quite caught up just yet. Give it a little time.

AK5B, K6FAK, K7LZR and 1 other person like this.
  6. K8BBE

K8BBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best antenna I ever bought for trips and field day. Great idea on the new tripod. A few years ago, I bought a crank up tripod and extended it to 40 feet. Used a dipole to guy it and a small rotor with a buddy pole on top. We were able to work everywhere. Took it too on a trip to Canada and set it up in the room. Had a great time on 20 meters with it. Good luck with it. K8BBE

AK5B, BROBERT225 and K6FAK like this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you aren't interested in taking the antenna down to tape coils every time you want to change bands (and want better power on 40m), give this a look -- at 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the new Buddy Pole. It's basically a 20/40m fan dipole with adjustable 40m legs, so you can also work 17m with tuner. You build it yourself. All at 41 feet in height, at the top. 20m comes off as a vertical dipole, for low-angle radiation.

http://thestingyham.blogspot.com/2017/09/buddy-killer-15m-17m-20m-40m-antenna.html

[​IMG]

AK5B, KA3BQE, K6FAK and 2 others like this.
  8. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My HRO catalogs just say "CALL" instead of listing a price.

AK5B likes this.
  9. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

90 day warranty…. lol.

10. VE3DZP

VE3DZP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

90 day warranty HUmmmm!

11. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

One could email Buddipole. They'll send you a Flyer with info. They offer a 10', 23' & 33' option.

12. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears you're using a computer from before the invention of lowercase letters. I'm sorry to inform you that these will no longer be allowed on the internet and you will have to disconnect until you can replace your equipment. It's for your safety and the safety of those around you.

Thank you,

Office of Technology

AK5B and WU8Y like this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

the reason for this is a long-standing policy known as "MAP" pricing or "Minimum Advertised Price" where a retailer (HRO etc.) agrees with a manufacturer never to advertise a price below what the manufacturer considers the lowest fair market price. By law, they can sell for whatever price they want to sell for - no one can dictate what level of profit the retailer is willing to settle for. But because they have AGREED not to advertise below a set price, they have to abide by that agreement lest the manufacturer refuse to sell to them.

So "Call for Price" just means they are not breaking the MAP policy - they are not advertising a price below the agreed-upon price as set by the manufacturer. You, the end user, have to initiate a discussion with the vendor - "Call for price" - at which point you'll find out what the vendor actually wants for the item.

Frequently, MAP is violated by "bundling" - offering a number of items as a group for a set price. Since no single item is advertised, the vendor can skirt the MAP policy and list an actual price in the ad. This is really common in the camera world (Camera, bag, flash, filters, extra batteries, memory card, etc. all as a package) and the audio world as well.

A more recent MAP dodge / loophole is "Add to Cart to see price" - pretty much the same as "call for price" - it requires the end-user to initiate the dialog about price. The act of "adding to cart" is considered to be the same action as "calling to get a price"

But that's the long and short of "call for price" and why they do it.

Dave
    W7UUU

AK5B, N4PAJ, KN4PHS and 4 others like this.
  14. W8LM

W8LM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also went to the website - it's not Radio Shack because I got no answers! (Radio shack - we've got Answers!" )
    I see in one picture they have a "rotatable dipole" deployed on top. I'm wondering about specifications like max sq.ft of antenna allowed and torquing- rotational specification... the failure/ slippage of the compression binders by a weight above. I'm kind of at a loss regarding 1 man deployment as raising that rotating dipole and guying it, seems to be a 1/2 a club manpower requirement. Which California club is going to put their Stepper-IR on one?? I doubt that it will handle a Mosley TA33jr. but who knows? It just may skirt tower regulations is anal retentive pompus city governments. as temporary as you'd have to take it down every wind storm..

Let's play the Price is right......Post your replies below...
    Who can guess the retail price of the NEW Mastwerks RTS1500 33 foot tripod/mast assembly WITHOUT GOING OVER!!

W8LM - $895...

15. W8LM

W8LM Ham Member QRZ Page

W8LM $895