ad: UR5CDX-1

K1P - King Philip's War Memorial Weekend Aug 8-14, 2019

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KY1K, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

K1P - King Philip's War Memorial Weekend Aug 8-14, 2019.

King Philip's War was an armed conflict in 1675–1678 between Indian inhabitants of New England and New England colonists. It is considered by many to be the deadliest war in the history of American colonization. In the space of little more than a year, 12 of the region's towns were destroyed and many more were damaged, the economy of Plymouth and Rhode Island Colonies was all but ruined and their population was decimated, losing one-tenth of all men available for military service. Historians estimate that, as a result of King Philip's War, the Indian population of southern New England was reduced by about 40 to 80 percent.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Philip's_War
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Special Event Station is being sponsored by the Outdoor Enthusiasts Amateur Radio Club N1KC.
    The main transmitting location will be Bristol, RI - the site of King Philip's death.

Portable operations are also planned for Swansea, MA (a town destroyed at the start of the war) Cumberland, RI (site of "Nine Men's Misery") and near Marlborough, MA (another town destroyed in the war)

All bands 2-160 meters will be used. Mostly digital modes, some SSB when conditions and antennas allow. We are looking for a CW operator.

Online logging will be under N1KC/K1P.
    QSL cards will be available via KY1K. Please send a SASE with your card.

W1TRY likes this.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Which side were you on?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither. I wasn't born yet. ;)

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Picky Picky

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

this war was one of the answers on Jeopardy today.

I told the XYL the answer as soon as the question was asked ... She looked at me with that "how did you know that?" look:p

KC1OCA, KY1K and AD5HR like this.
  6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, it was 60 years before some of those towns were resettled. A few of my ancestors were in that second wave of settlement in the Brookfield/Sturbridge, Mass. area. This is one of them:
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/76303603/george-watkins
    You don't hear much about King Philip's War, but it's hard to ignore in parts of New England. Historical markers and whatnot.

7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a few in the first wave... on both sides! All my ancestral roots are from there, and yes, in later years, part Nipmuc.

I've read quite a bit about the whole thing and it was a bloody mess.

N1OOQ likes this.
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, for those not familiar...
    "King Philip" was an English name for Metacom, one of Massasoit's sons. Massasoit was the famous Sachem of the Wampanoags, who maintained good relations with the English settlers throughout his life. Things went to crap rather quickly after he died... As English expansion westward from the coast continued, and the settlers became more demanding, King Philip organized the various tribes in an all-out war to push them back... Mayhem ensued. In the end, it did not go well for Philip and his allies.

KA0HCP likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I"ve never heard of this war. My parents dragged us all over New England as kids including the Mass Colonies. Thanks for posting.

10. AI7CH

AI7CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 8th g-grandfather, Benjamin Allen, fought in this war at the age of 23, before he had any children! Thank God he was one of the survivors...

Bill Allen

KY1K likes this.
  11. AE7BT

AE7BT Ham Member QRZ Page

An ancestor of mine fought in King Phillip’s War. I’m making it a point to take part to say “Thank Ye For Thine Service!”
    ;-)

W1TRY and KY1K like this.
  12. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Event starts in a few hours! Still planning on all bands 160m-2m FT8. Also some SSB on the bands that have good propagation. Unfortunately no dedicated CW operator so none is planned (BUT you never know...)

QSL cards have been designed and will be printed at the end of the month.
    SASE for US stations, SAE +$1 for DX.