ad: UR5CDX-1

Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The US 216-222 MHz band is not available either. Different parts of it were auctioned to different licensees including the railroads for PTC (Positive Train Control) and aeronautical mobile isn't even allowed there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    NL7W and K4AGO like this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  3. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

ND5Y SAID>The federal and non-federal users (except for marine radio) had to narrowband so that the FCC and NTIA could reduce channel spacing and cram more users into the same amount of spectrum. If any of the spectrum was vacant they would not have had to do that.

I hope you aren't assuming that Thales's modulation will be narrow-band FM?

It will be along the lines of the 978 UAT FSK DATA transmissions along with other data modes similar to VDL-MODE2 which is already used in the 118-152 MHZ extended range AM COM BAND.

Yes there is an extended range AM COM BAND WHICH covers 118-152 MHZ already so nothing is really changing, all that will change is the primary user status of 144-146 or possibly even 144-148MHZ.

Also why are we talking about 138-144 and anything above 146 MHZ or above 148 (STILL TBD) as all they are going to get is 144-146MHZ primary usage and possibly 144-148, and it isn't going to be for AM ATC modulation either nor is it going to be FM it will be secure telemetry control data.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be a regional thing or just around Governmental Facilities. Other than a little bit of traffic in the VHF Marine Band, one frequency used for School Bus communications, and stuff in the 2-meter Amateur Band there is really nothing else to be heard from 138-174 MHz in my area. And, I live within VHF range (line of sight) of MacDill AFB, Central Command, a Federal Court House in Tampa and a CSX RR. Been scanning off and on for quite a few years and have never heard anything military or police in that part of the spectrum. Wish there was, it might make for some interesting listening.

Not saying that there isn't something on those frequencies some where. But, nary a peep here.

Dan KI4AX

K4AGO likes this.
  5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I never said it was and it's not land mobile radio, which is limited to 12.5 kHz bandwith or less on most frequencies in the US.

6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

All police and fire, state patrol, USFS, BLM, ambulance companies are all located there around here. Used very very heavy in my area. All wild land fire fighting is done in that part of the spectrum as well. I would assume in flat areas of the US lots of that has been pushed up to UHF and gone digital.

Al KC7JNJ

7. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

who cares what they come up with.. I purchased my radio's with the intent of using them from 144.000 to 147.999.. they can pass any rules or laws they want , those frequencies in question will still be used no matter what the rules become..

K4XJ and WQ4G like this.
  8. KG7IRJ

KG7IRJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the most part, isn't 2 meters one of the most well used bands? I would like to see a opening of the 4 meter band for North America. Paul KG7IRJ

9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

The French have a longstanding, innate need to surrender their rights whenever possible.

VA7UO and K4XJ like this.
  10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thales is the large French company that wants it.
    Germany runs Europe, the French won't get this.

11. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you are going to be a VHF freebander?

K4AGO likes this.
  12. K3CXG

K3CXG Ham Member QRZ Page

"Cherchez la vache!" (from Monte Python and the Holy Grail)

73 DE K3CXG Mike

VA7UO and W8LV like this.
  13. W9CPY

W9CPY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My big concern is that, here in the Midwest, 2 meters seems like a dead band, outside of the odd net. I travel the state of Wisconsin and upper Michigan on a regular basis, and it's dead quiet most of the time. I can't speak for the coasts, but I also think we have a "use it or lose" it issue here. My hometown of Wausau has something like 11 repeaters, all of them very, very quiet. Possession of equipment does not equate to use of the frequency!

K4AGO, K9MIS, N0WBA and 1 other person like this.
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thales' predecessor, Thomson-CSF, evolved from Compagnie Française Thomson-Houston (CFTH), which was established in 1893. However Thomson-CSF itself was established in 1968 when Thomson-Brandt (then renamed CFTH) merged its electronics arm with that of Compagnie Générale de Télégraphie Sans Fil (CSF).

Thales formed a joint venture with Raytheon in June 2001 to combine their radar and communications systems divisions. Named ThalesRaytheonSystems, the firm is 50% owned by both parent companies. The joint venture was restructured in 2016 to switch focus exclusively on NATO agencies and NATO memeber states.

In 2002 Thales set up the joint venture company Armaris with the French shipbuilder DCN to offer a total "bottom up" shipbuilding capability.

In 2002, Thales Broadcast Multimedia, a former subsidiary of Thales, provided China with standard short-wave radio-broadcasting equipment designed for general public radio broadcasting. Although the contract was not at all for the purpose of jamming foreign radio stations broadcasting to China, it now appears that this is what the ALLISS antennas are being used for.

In 2003 Thales UK's design won the competition for the Royal Navy Future Carrier (CVF) and the company now participates in an alliance company with BAE Systems and the UK Ministry of Defence.

Thales Navigation, a division that produced GPS units, was sold to private equity group Shah Capital Partners in 2006 for $170 million and renamed Magellan.

15. N0WBA

N0WBA Ham Member QRZ Page

a few 2m nets here, nothing else. 70cm is dead here. Sold my vhf gear because of it