ad: M2Ant-1

Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't they use AM UHF like they do here in the U.S. for Gov & Mil see if that works ?

2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

If they do take away that part of the 2# meter band we should go to war with FRANCE ! Hi Hi Keep your DAMN hands off our BANDS !!! Phil KI6PMD..

3. IU0JZN

IU0JZN Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA4LJJ

WA4LJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the US, but S*** flows downhill . . . . . Guessin' we're next.

5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

in 2012 Light-squared lobbied the US congress, senate and FCC to start operating an air-cellular network on GPS frequencies.

It was only after considerable effort and money spent along with objection by the US DOD reminding all parties involved that Loran C had been shut down some years earlier and that GPS was needed for all critical navigation.

At the beginning it was a tough fight and it appeared that the FCC wasn't caving in and it took 10's of millions of dollars by GPS Mfg to reverse this decision.

Now seeing how important GPS is and seeing how unimportant the FCC considers us hams to be, if there is any money to be made by anyone by re-purposing 2 meters to companies with very deep pockets then the chances of the FCC/US government going along with the French proposal is pretty high.

NL7W and K0OKS like this.
  6. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

You know that "line A" thing that restricts us on 420-430 MHz? Lots of US repeaters are going to go away on 2 meters if this goes through.

K4AGO likes this.
  7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

In the US 138-144 and 148-150.8 is heavily used by the military. The aren't going to give it up.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  8. KF7NQH

KF7NQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the Pugeot this will come to pass. Or the Renault Dauphine, 40,000,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong!
    I shall talk on 2 meters with a Paris accent.

9. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, maybe we will finally have somebody to talk to on 2M! J/K. :) I remember the hostile takeover of a portion of the 220mhz band by UPS. I don't think they use it anymore. Regardless, they will do what they want! It doesn't matter what we think or say over this issue. Sure will be fun to watch.

de N5AQM
    -Mike

10. VK2LEE

VK2LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have three 2 meter transceivers, two are fairly NEW, so I am hoping this doesn't go anywhere... as said there are so many 2 meter transceivers in the WORLD, We all hope that nothing happens, otherwise I believe the QRM will be so great, they will have to go else where..??? Just plain stupidity!!!
    VK2LEE

K4XJ likes this.
  11. V73GOD

V73GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the French National Surrender Frequency ... oh that's right they use handkerchiefs for that.

KN4GYM, W5ADB and KF4ZKU like this.
  12. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have some good information from alternate sources ... The proposal comes basically from one very large French corporation ...

Interesting when we have here in Oz a close association with such corporations thanks to some junk submarines (silent mode 4 knots) with shells coming from that country (ultimately) ...

13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

This still begs the question of how activity is measured on 2m and by who ? :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

VA7UO likes this.
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the frequency chart I have been viewing does not reflect that.

OK, there is also a Fixed/Mobile/Land Mobile segment from 150.0500 to 156.2475. Is this also a Military Band?

Or, how about they reallocate 220 - 222 Mhz since it's not being used now?

Does anyone know which 'large corporation' wants the 2-meter band?

KI4AX

15. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what chart you are using but it is probably a generic non-detailed US spectrum chart like the one at https://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/2011/united-states-frequency-allocation-chart.

In the US the entire VHF high band 138-174 MHz (minus 144-148 ham and 149.9-150.05 satellite) contains federal and non-federal private land mobile radio and marine VHF. None of that is going to change or relocate. The federal and non-federal users (except for marine radio) had to narrownband so that the FCC and NTIA could reduce channel spacing and cram more users into the same amount of spectrum. If any of the spectrum was vacant they would not have had to do that.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019