ad: wmr-1

PETITION to sign to not eliminate the 144-146 MHz BAND by ITU !!!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by IW2BSF, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR ALL THE AMATEUR RADIO PETITION TO SIGN !!!

They want to take away from us the 144-146 MHz to us amateurs radio !!!

SCANDAL FRENCH PROPOSAL FOR THE AGENDA at WRC19

The next World Radiocommunication Conference 2019 (WRC-19), Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, 28 October to 22 November 2019 may be a historical phase of discussion for the amateur radio world, in fact among the proposals to put objects on the agenda, there it is the French that asks to discuss the allocation of the band
    144 -146 MHz for "new non-safety aeronautical mobile applications" in primary ...

Stop the ITU from taking away the 2 metre band from Radio Amateurs, and allow the Aeronautical Service to use this Amatuer Radio band.

Why is this important?

Many amateurs World wide have spent a lot of time and money to put literally thousands of repeaters on the air, and millions of others purchasing equipment and aerial. Also many of the Amatuer Emergency services such as ARES, RAYNET, etc use this band for emergency communications during crisis throughout the World, helping victims of disaster.

SIGN the Petition immediately here:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/2-metre-amateur-band-must-be-kept

To date they have signed the petition in 2,230 OM ... let's make ourselves heard! hi

73 of IW2BSF - Rudy

a-petizione.jpeg

PU6LCG likes this.
  2. IW2BSF

an interesting post :

Will we lose the 2m band?

Posted: 28 Jun 2019 11:06 AM PDT

Southgate reported recently that there’s been a proposal by France to make the Aeronautical Mobile Service the primary users of the 144-146 MHz band and demote the Amateur Radio Service to secondary users. The report say that this is “part of a broader consideration of the spectrum allocated to that service.”

At first, I really couldn’t believe what I was reading. The 2m band is not, after all, one of the little-used microwave bands. Not only that, for Europeans 144 – 146 MHz is their entire 2m band.

What was really weird about all this is why this is a French proposal and not a European-wide proposal. I forget where I read this, but apparently this is a move by the French company Thales Group to grab these frequencies for some kind of system they are proposing.

One troubling aspect of this is that, according to the ARRL, there’s been no strong opposition to this in Europe. The report notes:

“We hear only one admin[istration] (Germany) opposed the 144 MHz proposal — no one else,” the UK Microwave Group tweeted following the meeting. Otherwise, it has been carried forward to the higher-level CEPT Conference Preparatory Group (CPG) meeting in August.

I’m not sure that there’s much we can do here in the United States. Indeed the IARU has asked its member societies to publicize this news, but “refrain at this time from making speculative public comments about the situation until further progress has been made in regulatory discussions.”

If you’re not inclined to sit on your thumbs, have a look at this item that appeared on reddit yesterday:

Petitions to keep 2m for amateur radio

As you have probably already heard there is a proposal from France to reallocate the 2m band to the aeronautical mobile service.

I urge you to take action to prevent the loss of 2m whether this is by means of contacting your local regulatory body directly, signing a petition or other. Please make sure your voice is heard, every small bit counts.

The following two petitions were circulated around my local club, if you’re so inclined take a moment to sign them:

https://www.change.org/p/keep-the-144-146-mhz-band-for-ham-…

https://www.change.org/p/rsgb-stop-the-2-meter-band-144-146…

If you’re aware of any other petition or ways to voice opposition and help the cause in general , kindly share them with the rest of us. And of course get out there and make some calls! See you on 2m!

I don’t think I’m being alarmist here to suggest to you all that the only organization that’s really defending our frequencies is the ARRL. If nothing else, that should be a reason for you all to be members.

The post Will we lose the 2m band? appeared first on KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog.

3. TA5FA

TA5FA Ham Member QRZ Page

4. IW2BSF

2 july news.....

As there is a lot of ‘fake news’ appearing on this subject, this is the official position from IARU R1 member societies which I have forwarded from elsewhere:

Latest News On the Current 2 m Band Allocation Discussion

The French administration at short notice had handed in a modified a proposal to WRC-19 preparatory groups at CEPT that WRC-19 should decide on feasibility studies for additional Aeronautical-Mobile-Services(AMS) allocations in the range from 144 MHz to 22.2 GHz.

If this proposal in its current version is endorsed at the next meeting of the CEPT Conference Preparatory Group in August it is highly likely that it will appear on the agendas of WRC-19 and WRC-23 where a final decision will be made. At least 10 of the 48 CEPT countries have to be in favour of this proposal while not more than 6 must be against this.

During the recent Meeting of the CEPT Project Team A in Prague this proposal by France was being discussed for the first time. Only the German delegation made it clear that they are against this proposal including 144-146 MHz.

The main reason for that little opposition might be that the 2 m band was included in the revised version of that French proposal only few days before the deadline for the Prague meeting. Consequently most other European countries had no time for internal discussions let alone formulating their position.

IARU, being supported by regulatory experts of their member associations (RSGB, DARC, VERON etc) is intensively working on executing their influence within the current process and trying to keep the 2 m band as it is now. By the way, the cost of this activities is covered by the funds resulting from the contributions of the IARU member societies. So those who left their county’s amateur radio society should perhaps reconsider their decision. Without the commitment and the funds the amateur radio community would have little influence in that process, let alone could be present at the relevant meetings.

Most importantly, amateur radio should speak with a single voice only. So I would like to ask everybody to refrain from using maybe good personal contacts to your government or the EU. This would weaken our position and take away power and vigour from the systematic approach by IARU and country amateur radio societies.

73 Bernd DF2ZC, designated Frequency Manager DARC

N2UN likes this.
  5. IW2BSF

NEWs 5 july :

REF sent a letter of opposition to CEPT. The national amateur radio associations are represented by the IARU which is the only one with the right to vote. I imagine there are informal dialogues with the equivalent of the Ministry of Communications. The IARU invited everyone not to express themselves formally until the next August meeting.

But no one opposed it, except for the IARU, and therefore the proposal rather than being dead in the bud, will arrive at the next conference. There is nothing to be happy about.

K0UO likes this.
  6. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

The proposal is absurd. It's also a gauge of how all the näive and sweet little euro-hams will 'go-along', as another sentimentalist opportunity to express their misinformed communalist spirit of endorsement of all things pan-european, whether French or German or anyone but their own ...
    The French military industrialists must, as usual, be out of their tiny-little-minds to even propose. Probably all linked into The European Army mentality. Go on then, lick boots, you lickspittles.
    I don't want to hear your 'what do you expect', tired excuses.
    I've signed. Brave up, toadies!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that you are misinformed. The IARU has no vote neither in the CEPT nor the ITU, because they are not a "Member State" or an "Administration". Only those have voting rights, and the IARU has observer status. They can express their opinions, but if a formal vote is cast, they are not counted.

In the Prague CEPT PTA meeting, the IARU was represented, but not as itself, but as a part of the UK delegation. If it is correct that only Germany formally expressed opposition to the proposal, this would mean that the official UK opinion was not to oppose, and that the IARU delegate had to conform with what the delegation leader, in this case Ofcom which is an Administration appointed by the UK Government, had decided.

In international diplomatic cooperation of this kind (yes, a delegation represents the country), rules and adherence to procedures are of paramount importance.

If you are a delegation member, regardless of what your own opinion, you do not go against the official standpoint expressed by the head of delegation when it comes to issues that are taken to the minutes. Period.

This may be interpreted as that Ofcom is not currently interested in protecting amateur radio.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you mind sharing a link to the ARRL's petition? I can't seem to find it.

9. IW2BSF

yes ... post here .

The national amateur radio associations are represented by the IARU which is the only one with the right to vote. I imagine there are informal dialogues with the equivalent of the Ministry of Communications.

The IARU invited everyone not to express themselves formally until the next August meeting.

But no one opposed it, except for the IARU, and therefore the proposal rather than being dead in the bud, will arrive at the next conference. There is nothing to be happy about.

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL petition? Their statement is on their website.

11. IW2BSF

OK !!! :)

12. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that this is only a proposal. Nothing will be decided in the next 3 - 4 years. I have to think that in that 3 - 4 years there will be plenty of reasoned opposition to this ~proposal~ and that it will be withdrawn. How about we wait to get excited about it just before it's voted on? There's got to be something else to hoop-la about before then.

K0UO likes this.
  13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your point is well taken and I suppose we're going to be hearing this Doom and Gloom for the next four or five years!

There's no chance of us losing it in North or South America for sure.
    As a pilot I don't see why Aviation would want to use that frequency spectrum at all, just specifically for Europe, I've expressed that already.