ad: Sussex-1

Two Metres: Re-Allocation?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Amateurs of Canada has received several requests for more information in response to reports on some websites and discussions on email lists of a proposal to reallocate 144 MHz -146MHz from the Amateur Radio Service to the Aeronautical Mobile Service.

The following has been prepared by Bryan Rawlings VE3QN RAC’s representative at the World Radio Conference and the domestic and International meetings leading up to that meeting.

Glenn MacDonell
    President
    Radio Amateurs of Canada

There is concern – understandably – in the amateur community over a French proposal to re-allocate 144 – 146 MHz to the aeronautical navigation service to accommodate the growing number of aircraft employing new navigation tracking and communication aids.

Here is a brief summary of what and where this proposal is …

The French administration have proposed a new primary allocation to the aeronautical mobile service in 144 to 146 MHz which is the entirety of the amateur two-metre band in ITU Region 1 (Europe, the Mid-East and Africa). Their proposal was most recently considered at a meeting in Prague of a subcommittee of the Conseil Europeen des Postes et Radiocommunication (CEPT). The CEPT comprises 48 European states.

What is under consideration specifically is that an agenda item to this effect be included for the World Radiocommunication Conference tentatively planned for 2023. The WRC-23 agenda will be decided at the conclusion of the next WRC which begins October 28 th in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.

The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) was present as an observer at the Prague meeting and energetically opposed the French proposal. In the event, only Germany among the delegates opposed the French proposal. The issue will now be taken up at a higher level CEPT meeting in August. Belgium has apparently joined Germany in opposition. Should the number of administrations opposing the French proposal reach eight the proposal will fail to move forward. The IARU and European amateurs are now actively seeking the support of other administrations to oppose the French proposal.

Formally, the proposal is not on the agenda of any other regional groups preparing for WRC-19. RAC has made known to our regulator that we support the IARU’s opposition to the French proposal and its actions to defend amateur radio’s worldwide primary allocation and that we would oppose any similar proposal for re-allocation in Region 2 (the Americas). The Comisión Interamericana de Telecomunicaciones (CITEL) of the Organization of American States will meet in Ottawa in mid-August. The IARU will again be an observer and RAC will be represented in the Canadian delegation.

This issue is a clear illustration of the importance of amateurs and their national associations being vigilant and taking part in the regional and international regulatory conferences which can determine the fate of our most-cherished amateur bands. For a more-complete description of these processes read the article “ The Importance of Showing Up” in the May-June 2019 issue of The Canadian Amateur.

Bryan Rawlings VE3QN
    3 July 2019

Radio Amateurs of Canada

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/july/two-metres-re-allocation.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VK3GOR, G0CWH, W6SAE and 2 others like this.
  2. ON6UU/SK2022

ON6UU/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do they want us to go then ? I you propose something then propose also an alternative.... ..

KF4ZKU likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You won't like the answer to that!

SP9AZF, AG5CK, HB9CXI and 4 others like this.
  4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats part of the "didn't think it through" thingy. Naturally, 'they' expect any users of that part of the band to stop using it... right? I personally don't think it has a 'snow-balls' chance...

G3SEA, K4AGO, W5MIL and 3 others like this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that include you? i.e., Would you transmit on a frequency you're not licensed for? What callsign would you use?

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they are planning to deal with interference during passes over the U.S. I can imagine there will be about a million 2-meter transmitters QRMing the thing when it passes by.

KI4AX

K9CTB, W5MIL, K9MIS and 3 others like this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to understand the "need" for expanding the aeronautical band into 2m. Why is this even on the table for discussion and consideration in the first place?

Another issue is the portion around 142 MHz is classified for military use, not to mention NOAA and other weather sats are using frequencies somewhere around 138 MHz. How do they all feel about that intrusion into their bands?

K4AGO, W5MIL, WA9WSJ and 4 others like this.
  8. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't matter in France, they don't have to care about NOAA.

From my perspective it's likely that we are seeing peak air transportation right now and when that has passed the band will be less used again.

9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure that our agencies would say, "absolutely no way!" Then whisper "but, theoretically, how much are you willing to pay?"

SP9AZF, KW6LA, K3RW and 10 others like this.
  10. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Naturally,
    the French Ruin Everything...

(From the Movie Yellowbeard)

"...let me remind you that it is our duty to seek out and destroy... Her Majesty's enemies... the foul... and most foreign French. - Here, here. - Now... while the rest of the world will eventually arrive at the same conclusion... it is our urgent task... to push things on a little. Amen." ;-)

73 DE W8LV BILL

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    W4GCH, AF4RK and KI6PMD like this.
  11. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Only in an emergency, and I would use my call sign. Which is totally beside the point. Did you really not understand the point of my post?

KN4WCI likes this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

If the spectrum chart I am viewing is correct there appears to be 6-Mhz just below the 2-meter Amateur Band (138-144 Mhz) allocated for Fixed/Mobile that could be used. Why couldn't that part of the spectrum be reallocated? Every time I read a thread about the French taking 144-148 Mhz I smell something bad. It smells like dead fish....

KI4AX

K4XJ and KC8VWM like this.
  13. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

the PETITION is over 150.000 firms ...great !

NEWs 5 july :

REF sent a letter of opposition to CEPT. The national amateur radio associations are represented by the IARU which is the only one with the right to vote. I imagine there are informal dialogues with the equivalent of the Ministry of Communications. The IARU invited everyone not to express themselves formally until the next August meeting.

But no one opposed it, except for the IARU, and therefore the proposal rather than being dead in the bud, will arrive at the next conference. There is nothing to be happy about.

14. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only are the French after the 2 meter band they are also after the 23 cms band. I put my plans to get a Icon 9700 on hold pending the outcome. I don't want to waste £1700 (approx. $2000) on a radio I can't use two thirds of.

W5MIL likes this.
  15. KJ4ADN

KJ4ADN Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote: "The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) was present as an observer at the Prague meeting and energetically opposed..."
    IMHO, that's the end of it. It's gonna be pretty difficult to touch the band with more repeaters than all other bands combined, the most HT radios, etc., who writes this crap anyhow? 2 meters is the primary band for "our" local emergency communications, because there ARE so many repeaters and propagation of it is 'just about right' 95% of the time for good, local communications in FM / DATA modes. This is going *nowhere* - they'll channelize-digitize or something else the Airplane stuff. We had a radio on 123MHz for months, with a OSJ antenna tuned specifically for it, at a decent elevation (my kids are in CAP, 2 are pilots) - if you think 2 meter repeaters are quiet, give this Air band a listen.

I call B.S. on this, and the guy who posted the stupid Youtube video (probably making MONEY on his click bait). I got pinged by several people, "Bill - you gotta help, spread the word, they're taking away 2 meters, and nobody is standing up for us!!!" Take away the primary band a Technician Class operator uses - ...yeah, right! Ain't gonna happen.

K4XJ likes this.