ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham's that use drones will have to get a certificate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4LGM, Jul 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN4LGM

KN4LGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any hams that use drones for anything (not just putting up antennas) will have to get a certificate to fly after July 17th. This weekend I was at a conference and one of the speakers was a commercial drone flyer and he said that after July 17th, all hobbyist*^ would have to get a certificate to fly. But he added that it would be an on line exam cotsing 5 dollars per atemmpt and that the FAA had not yet such a test. This is very important for anyone that uses drones for any purpose, particularly hams that use drones to put up antennas.

* people that do not get paid to use their drones.
    ^ If you do get paid you must get ayour commercial certificate.

Jonny KN4LGM

2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious where this information came from.

Could you you provide an FAA link to this requirement? I haven't been able to find anything about such requirements.

Ken

Edit: I did more research and found nothing regarding the above post. The latest FAA information regarding this subject is at https://www.faa.gov/uas/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    K0UO, KK5JY and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

What W4KJG said.... this is the "Amateur Radio News" forum - you're not going to get much traction unless you post a source and link to the information you're describing.

Hoping you can do that :)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Changes Coming in the Future
    The FAA is upgrading the online system, known as LAANC (the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), so that recreational operations can get automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace.

The new law also requires:

1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.
    2. The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community based organizations.
    The FAA plans to have all of these features and requirements fully implemented by the summer of 2019.

Check our website for the latest updates or follow us on social media for the latest news.

More detailed information about the FAA's plan to fully implement the requirements of Section 349 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 may be found on the Federal Register.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

AWESOME! Some "amateur radio news" :)

Thanks for posting the links

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W4KJG

No disrespect intended. But, based on the original post by KN4LGM, I believe I had already read all of the links you posted. I would just like a simple answer.

As of July 17, 2019, do I need to take an on-line exam, and do I need a certificate to use my UAV that weighs less than 3 pounds. I never fly the UAV more than about 100 feet AGL. I am 4.2 miles from OKV (Winchester Regional Airport). I am a former private pilot and reasonably familiar with airspace requirements.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I believe there are quite a few of us here on QRZ who are affected by this issue.

Thank you,
    Ken

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W4KJG

Thank you for that link. I'm just not sure where my UAV is in the line up.

It was a lot easier before I retired, when there might be a Hunter, Reaper, or Predator UAV blocking my parking space and a few other spaces. Somebody else had to be concerned about permission to fly those things.

Our ham club meeting won't happen this Thursday (July 4), but I plan to bring it up as a subject of interest at the next meeting. Our club building is close to our regional airport, and I know I'm not the only one using hobby UAVs.

9. KN4LGM

All of the information I have was what I was told at the conference, and I thought yall would understand that I am not in a position to add more information. (Also thanks for the advice and I will remember it for next time)

To the best of my knowledge, you need to have a waver from your local airport, enorder to fly at any altitude withen 8 miles of an airport.

10. KN4LGM

I heard this from a commercial flyer that has been in the besnes over 15 years, and no I can not provide a link to a first-hand conversation.

11. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/
    Certificated Remote Pilots including Commercial Operators
    [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

If you have a small drone that is less than 55 pounds, you can fly for work or business by following the Part 107 guidelines.

To fly under Part 107 rules, there are 3 main steps:

Step 1: Learn the Rules
    1. Make sure you understand what is and is not allowed under Part 107 rules. Review a summary of the Part 107 rules (PDF) .

Still unsure if Part 107 rules work for you and your intended operation? Check our user identification tool.

2. Some operations are not covered by Part 107 and will require a waiver. Here are some common examples of Part 107 sections that are subject to waiver:
      • Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft (§ 107.25) *
      • Daylight operation (§ 107.29)
      • Visual line of sight aircraft operation (§ 107.31) *
      • Visual observer (§ 107.33)
      • Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft systems (§ 107.35)
      • Yielding the right of way (§ 107.37(a))
      • Operation over people (§ 107.39)
      • Operation in certain airspace (§ 107.41)
      • Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft (§ 107.51)
      *The FAA will not waive this section to allow the carriage of property of another by aircraft for compensation or hire.

If your operation will require a waiver, read about the Part 107 Waiver application process.
    Step 2: Become an FAA-Certified Drone Pilot by Passing the Knowledge Test
    1. To be eligible to get your Remote Pilot Certificate, you must be:
      • At least 16 years old
      • Able to read, write, speak, and understand English
      • Be in a physical and mental condition to safely fly a UAS
    2. Review the full process to get your Remote Pilot Certificate.
    3. Study for the Knowledge Test by reviewing the Test Prep materials provided by the FAA.
    4. Schedule an appointment to take the Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center (PDF).
    5. Once you've passed your test, complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application) using the electronic FAA Integrated Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application system (IACRA)*
    Step 3: Register your Drone with the FAA
    • Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years. You'll need a credit or debit card and the make and model of your drone handy in order to register.
    • Visit dronezone.faa.gov and select "Fly sUAS under Part 107" to create an account and register your drone.
    • Once you've registered, mark your drone (PDF) with your registration number in case it gets lost or stolen.
    Remember:

W4KJG likes this.
  12. KB1DJA

KB1DJA Ham Member QRZ Page

I fly and my understanding you have to have clearance from the tower. In my case a local resident has a small private field for his plane and I am supposed to call him and let him know anytime I fly.

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

14. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Well there goes the neighborhood. ;)

( ** kidding!!! ** )

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most, not all hams would likely fall under the "recreational flyer" section of the regulations. This link seems to provide the information needed. The biggest change I see has to do with the test and the online process for contacting your local airport tower.
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/