ad: M2Ant-1

Help with digital mode frequencies Olivia. Logging program to recommend

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K7HN, Jun 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7HN

K7HN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone!

I would love to work some DX and want to find out which frequencies are best to do so using Olivia or if you have a different digital mode to suggest, I am all ears for that too…

I’m looking for the frequencies I can work DX using Olivia and which Olivia mode is best to use for DXing.

Also, I’ve had a really hard time getting people to confirm QSO’s on QRZ… Is there a better logging software for me to use to get confirmations that anyone could recommend?

Your help is much appreciated!

2. N6SBN

N6SBN Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of points. The modern USB radios provide USB Comm port for Rig control and two audio channels for your digital program's transmit and receive audio. Older radios can accomplish this with a Signalink device.

There are several Mature digital freeware programs out there. FLDIGI provides a nice interface with easy to modify macros. It will do most digital modes. The WSJT-x uses the FT8 Protocol which is excellent for DX . I enjoy watching the web site PSKReporter.info web site to see where my 10 watt FT8 signals propagate. This is fun when you're testing different antennas.

For QSO's on Olivia, you can find them in the evening on or above 7070. Olivia is slow, but will reach out further than most modes. Contestia and MT-64 look similar to Olivia and are faster. When not sure of which mode is being used, check the "trx id" and "rec ID" buttons at the top of FLDIGI.

I remember once, I was looking at the 10 meter digital band. High on the waterfall, I saw a faint Olivia signal. I clicked on it and decode an Australian calling CQ. I answered and we had a fine old time texting. It seemed that he made a very large beam antenna out of scrape Aluminum. It had been his first chance to raise it up a tree and try it. I just happened to be looking at the empty waterfall when his signal appeared. This was fun.

Feel free to email me if you get in a bind.

Craig de N6SBN

K7HN likes this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Try LOTW (Log Book of The World).

KI4AX

K7HN likes this.
  4. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy!
    Take this as a "guideline" to get you started on 40M.

For Olivia & Contestia, 7.071 Seems to be the base frequency; with the audio being centered around 1500 hz.
    For PSK31 (BPSK31 in the fldigi program) seems to the base frequency of 7.070 with audio being centered around 1500 hz.

That said, I have worked PSK31 stations from 7.070 to 7.071. I haven't heard too many Olivia or Contestia stations on 7.070.

The DX I have worked has all been on PSK31.

I log in 3 places. eQSL, QRZ, LOTW.
    I don't even check LOTW for confirmations.

Ron, WB9YZU

PY2RAF, K4RKY and K7HN like this.
  5. K7HN

I’m glad for your recommendation. I started the process and hope to get things working on LoTW soon. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Blessings,

Larry
    K7HN

WQ4G likes this.
  6. K7HN

Hi Ron,

Thanks a LOT for your help. I truly appreciate it. This was great information for me. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my post so succinctly and with clarity.

Blessings,

Larry
    K7HN

7. K7HN

Thanks a lot my friend! I have a Jesu FTDX 3000 transceiver. It decodes CW, PSK and RTTY, but I’d much rather use FLDIGI as I’m used to it. Do you know if I need a SDR to connect to FLDIGI or can I just hook up the USB connection?

8. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping another Yeasu 3000 owner would chip in there.

I just scanned the manual, which is available on the Yeasu site. Looks like the answer is on page 106.
    Try reading that over, and give Customer Support a call if you can't get it to work.
    You may need to download drivers for the USB from Yeasu.