ad: cq2k-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 171 - World Scout Jamboree & WalMart Parking Lots On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is one simple reason for this. Working an FM satellite is as Easy as using a single (yes, ONE) baofeng with an aftermarket whip (ok, it's not easy, but possible).

Working a linear, at the very least, requires a single VHF/UHF SSB transceiver and likely a beam antenna (I am aware of no linear contacts being made with whips in the recent years). So there is a very real equipment hurdle that must be overcome to get on the linear sats.

To take the opposite approach, a "good" portable FM satellite station consists of a D72 and an arrow/elk antenna. That's about $300 to $500 invested depending on used or new. A "good" portable SSB satellite station consists of an FT-817/8 (or two), or a single FT817/8 and an all-mode receiver, plus the same antenna (and a diplexer if using an elk). The cost doubles.

KE0NAZ likes this.
  2. KF9F

KF9F Ham Member QRZ Page

I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL PARK THEIR RV IN A WALMART PARKING LOT W/O GIVING IT A 2ND THOT? AS LONG AS THEIR PROPERTY IS NOT DAMAGED, I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM. ITS GOOD PUBLICITY FOR THE ABILITY OF THE HOBBY.

K4BMW and W2CSI like this.
  3. W0WTF

W0WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I sure am glad some of you old codgers and curmudgeons stopped yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" and disparaging 'no code extras' as the demise of Ham Radio long enough to completely have the entire thing fly way over your crabby heads. Sadly, Wal Mart has no aisle where you can find a sense of humor, but some of you should spend more time trying to find one.

Those of us who DO have senses of humor and enjoy ham radio in all of its wonderful different ways of enjoyment will get a chuckle out of the WMPLOTA event. I might even dust off my Arrow and HTs and activate one or two next weekend!

We now return you to the endless parade of crabasses complaining about FT8 and how dead the bands are.

KG5CCI, W9AFB, N1NDN and 2 others like this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

WMPLOTA FTW!

WD9EWK likes this.
  5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I'm going to start POPOTA. Port O Potties On The Air. I know I know... the idea stinks.

WB9VPG, N1NDN, KD8ZXM and 2 others like this.
  6. W9ANW

W9ANW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, tough crowd here. I don’t care where they do their thing. It will most likely draw questions from onlookers. Great way to broaden the hobby. 2 grids in one to boot. Good luck

KD9FEK, W2CSI, WB9VPG and 2 others like this.
  7. KD8ZXM

KD8ZXM Ham Member QRZ Page

This must be some kind of sick joke, as if Ameritron wasn't enough of a national embarrassment.

MI0GTA likes this.
  8. MI0GTA

MI0GTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Walmart car parks... HIHIHIHI...
    I wonder will the RSGB / OFCOM consider TESCO / SAINSBURY / LIDL over here for a call sign.

9. MI0GTA

MI0GTA Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a monuments special event.... The Needle, Mount Rushmore, etc....

KF5KWO likes this.
  10. KD8ZXM

KD8ZXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to activate the cigarette stand outside store #00001! CQ Sam Walton statue, how copy i am sending hard to get over the 11M IMD!

Nice to have a smile on my face after having the brand new ameritron let the smoke out for the 4th time in 2 weeks. In all sincerity, I wish WPOLOTA all the best.

MI0GTA likes this.
  11. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there other "commercial" names used in OTA events? I mostly hear of BSA or memorial sites, or the NPOA events.

Seems strange to promote the name of any commercial entity.

WX7P likes this.
  12. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest you read the "rules" of the event to see how ironic this statement is. Spoiler: The entire event is strange - it's supposed to be!

WE4B likes this.
  13. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One ________s on the air is just as good as any other _________s on the air.

I give them credit for doing something creative and much more interesting than the usual.:)

WE4B likes this.
  14. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes ! it was too crowded on the FM Birds ! I heard so many & only one or two got the exchange ! The linear Satellites are great & not many folks on them here out west ! if you want DX on Satellite they are the way to go. Well got to run looks like a pass coming up got to fire up the old TS-2000-X see you on the next pass. 73' Phil KI6PMD..