ad: elecraft

What is Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick to the point, just enough graphics to tweak interest...well done.

2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The younger generations tend to see such blatant mansplaining as either insulting or embarrassing to watch.

See if you can find yourself on this flow chart :)

[​IMG]

I find it amusing :rolleyes:

By the way, when was the last time that you climbed a mountain?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with radio gear...

[​IMG]

How about climbing a 1000 ft rope?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    N2EY and W0PV like this.
  3. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, Lord.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Take this scenario.... I meet a woman I have no knowledge of who has a question that is poorly phrased. Do I,
    1. Ask her to rephrase the question risking her thinking I am talking down to her?
    2. Assume I know what she means and answer the question wrongly giving her bad info which makes her angry?
    3. Assume she is not versed in the topic of her question and ask her if I can explain it to help her rephrase, risking that she thinks I am talking down to her?
    4. Play 50 questions to get at the root of what she wants and have her mad at me for not understanding her in the first place?
    You see, today you set the stage for making it almost impossible to speak to a feminist without offending. You seem to suggest we treat all women like they know more than us and leave them alone.

Life is a series of intelligence mismatches at times. I have been both mansplained and womansplained on topics of which I am an expert. It happens. Maybe it happens to women more. There has to be a better way that getting your knickers in a twist about it.

W5MIL likes this.
  6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

So, if a man speaks in a forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

That would have been in 2004, when I enlisted in the US Army.

I can link to how "mansplain" is defined too:

That last one is probably the most applicable here.

W5MIL and WU8Y like this.
  7. KB7OM

KB7OM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do think there are some members of our club that need to watch this. From "MY" experience, there are wide spread interest in ham radio, I also believe there is room for all of us regardless of our interest. Just my opinion. Pat

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I climb mountains, and I have even been a rope leader. I have rescued a US Navy Seal.

I am still very active.

I have achievements in physics and electronics, outstripping most men. Most are military, so I won't go there. However, explaining how to chart subparticle research to famous scientists at the Physics Symposium, National Academy of Sciences 1965 is equivalent yo The Periodic Table of Elements, and reinterpretation of Charles and Boyles laws explaining how to make crystals of xenon fluoride to Rand Corporation, Santa Monica and explaining how to proceed on the Neutrino Physics Project, Fermi Institute and having nothing to show for it, is a terrible waste of more ability than that ..because so many men are poseurs covering for their own mediocrity.

There is no polite way to state the problem.

Men that bully women and girls, and act like everything is a secret society for men only will always be wrong.

Women that bully men will always be wrong.

I didn't bully anyone, nevertheless, I was left out of the paycheck and honors.

"What a waste" is an expression I have repeatedly heard.

My life has been shoved aside by mediocre men.

There is no other way to put it.

It seems mediocrity reigns.

..women and girls are good at science and math, and metallurgy and strength of materials isn't so difficult.

I could explain how to do fast-reloading gun mounts on decks of US Navy ships.

..and that was only one example to military of explaining how something works.

W0PV and KQ6XA like this.
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie, is it possible you're misinterpreting the image? :p

What I see is an Extra class Ponytailed Lass "Elmira" urging on the the Tech Noob Dude who is quaking in his boots while retreating and sighing "It's too high! :eek:"

She is incredulous yet patiently and firmly instructing him "Should I come up there to show you how to do it?" :cool:

And then reaching out she says, "OH, and here are the batteries you forgot :oops: ... AGAIN ! :rolleyes:"

:)

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    AC0GT, AG4YL and KQ6XA like this.
  10. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Highly Doubtful... NOW I have Coffee, Creamer, and Oatmeal mix all over Monitor #2. You kids slay me. :confused: Totally.
    If this WAS truly a Sexist and Degrading poster that GUY would have both hands on her ass pushing. No matter what she's already made the Sammiches and has those in her pack... He's got all that useless radio gear and has been talking to his buddys all morning already... They'll just toss that crap over the side when things get really tough.

If the snow ever stops flying in the Hills, Craig and I will Hit Harney for a weekend... I'm all for Tactical, but have no desire for Technical. Have a nice day. :(

Erika DD

KQ6XA likes this.
  11. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mansplaining?

Yes, it's bad, but manspreading is worse.

----

As for "what is ham radio?"

Radio for radio's sake. Radio as an end in itself, rather than a means to an end.

12. K0DD

Another misquote by the ARRL... It's supposed to say, "What's the Internet?"

Sorry Jim that one IS a WAY inside sliding fastball, whatever that is?... Now I have my leftover vegetarian spaghetti all over Monitor 3. It's a tough morning here.

Erika DD

13. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use to like that description of Amateur radio, "radio for radio's sake." Now I find that lacking. That could easily describe stamp collecting, "stamps for the sake of stamps." That describes a lonely act, something someone can do without any real connection to other people.

The radio is not the end in itself, any more than a socket wrench set is an end to itself. Both the radio and the wrench are a means to do more, a tool by which we can achieve more than we could do without them. Unlike a wrench a radio is not useful without another radio, and another person. The radio is a means to experiment, learn, and communicate. If there is no learning then the radio is no different than a child's collection of trading cards, something to possess out of a contrived desire. If there is no experimentation then the Amateur radio not all that different than any other radio, something that sits on a shelf and powered up only for idle amusement. If there is no communication then it's just stargazing, yet another solitary act by which something might be learned but not shared.

Ham radio is not radio for radio's sake, it's far more. Or at least it was.

14. K0DD

I keep hearing a whispering elderly woman's voice behind me in response to the last few male posts... She's most likely one of the past Mistresses of the Manor... She's saying, "Whatever" o_O

15. K0DD

I keep hearing a whispering elderly woman's voice behind me in response to the last few male posts... She's most likely one of the past Mistresses of the Manor... She's saying, "Whatever" o_O