ad: chuckmartin

Petition calls on Ofcom to issue Vanity Call Signs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Petition calls on Ofcom to issue Vanity Call Signs

Rob Styles M0TFO has started a petition on change.org calling on Ofcom to allow radio amateurs to be issued with Vanity Call Signs

The petition says:

The FCC in the USA offers amateur licensees the opportunity to request a specific call sign for a primary station and for a club station also known as a vanity call signs, A Vanity call sign is a call sign that the licensee wants assigned in place of an existing call sign.

A small fee to cover administration costs by Ofcom may apply and restrictions on certain call signs.

Sign the petition to allow vanity call signs to be requested by UK amateur radio operators from Ofcom.

The petition is at
    https://www.change.org/p/ofcom-ofcom-to-offer-vanity-call-signs-to-uk-amateur-radio-licence-holders

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/june/petition-calls-on-ofcom-to-issue-vanity-call-signs.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MM0XXW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK I know I am slow but what is Ofcom?

N9NY likes this.
  3. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good idea but doubt it will happen, the UK does not allow vanity license (number) plates either

4. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

What a waste of OFCOM's resources , they can't protect/enforce the Amateur spectrum as it is , which is the important thing !

G1ZRN likes this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N7KO and MM0XXW like this.
  6. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

that is where you are wrong my friend from across the pond ,the requirement for personal plates here in the UK states no profanity or obscence plates will be issued, those that accidentally slip through are/may be recalled by the DVLA ( driver and vehicle Licensing Agency) , personally know of number plates issued that have been issued to spell out a persons intials and or names,please get your facts straight and your said ducks in a row before commenting on your idea of another Goverments position regards vehicle license plates let alone potential vanity call-signs end of rant

W2ZMZ, KG7XD and K2NCC like this.
  7. M6ENP

what do you know another"Extra class op ??"

8. M6ENP

its a bit like saying the FCC stands for : Feeling Completely Crap, or the ARRL : Arms Ready Right Left, or LOTW: Look Out Tail Wind , engage brain disengage typing fingers

KG7XD and N9NY like this.
  9. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

An extra class op that doesn't know how to use Google and a pompous Fog Horn that thinks his poo doesn't stink. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
    N4MIT and W6SAE like this.
  10. W6UXB

Well rant it definitely was, the personalized plates in the UK are plates that have already been distributed and it is just a coincidence they come up with a saying, as my late brother in laws plate was in the early days of number plates in the UK they were very simple so they spelled out words, in the US (California) you can get anything you want as long as it is not offensive and no more than 7 characters you could even have the plate 'WRONG' cheers Geoff W6UXB/G3UXB

11. W6UXB

Did they just kick you out the pub?

GW7UNV, N0YPD, M0REU and 2 others like this.
  12. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see a problem with this except for the inevitable mountain of Official paperwork :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

MM0XXW likes this.
  13. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is RSGB then!!?! Shouldn't they lobby to protect spectrum?

And, shouldn't OFCOM do what they are told to do?

I'm not sure how your government functions.

Didn't help to read the news.

Thanks.

MM0XXW likes this.
  14. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

The RSGB ? good one , do you write gags for any famous people I would know ?

G3NYY likes this.
  15. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

If I look closely in my crystal ball, what is likely to happen is that
    Ofcom sooner or later will be off-loading the callsign and licence
    management to the RSGB, and the fees for callsigns, vanity or not,
    will then not be "small"...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

MM0XXW likes this.