ad: Alphaant-1

Portable Solar Panels for field communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. OH8STN

Hello Operators
    Todays video is about choosing the right Portable Solar Panels, for amateur radio field day and/or Amateur Radio Emergency Communications.

In this video I take you through my experiences with portable solar panels from PowerFilm Solar, and hopefully, give you some information needed, helping you chose the correct series for your own field communications requirements.

In this video we discuss the FM (folding series), and R (Rollable series) from PowerFilm Solar.

Julian oh8stn

KC5JSR, NG8M, WA2LXB and 5 others like this.
  3. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want one. 1000 of you send me a dollar each :D

N3MLB, 2E0CQB and WA5VHU like this.
  4. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Video is not reproducing anymore...

5. OH8STN

Voting for Bernie eh? For now you'll have to stop wasting your money on pogey bait and save up!

AA0V, W5ZYM, KC5JSR and 6 others like this.
  6. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

keep a eye on older commercial solar sites ( like at ag sites ) , if you see them removing panels it may be an upgrade from ~170watt older panels to the new newer 300+watt panels
    I was able to buy the older used panels for $20

KD2DIG, KW4WL and OH8STN like this.
  7. OH8STN

For portable ops? Good catch but how much do they weigh?

8. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

F4HPX, KW4WL, KF5RHI and 4 others like this.
  9. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Julian

I have the one 20W for KX2 and it's fine (with 3 sets of Li-Ion batteries).
    I have FT-891 too and a commercial LifePo4 battery 22Ah lasting 5 hours at 80W of intense field day like event (140 QSO logged before battery shutdown and it was much more conversations than 59 next please contest style).
    But adding bigger radios/power then bigger batteries then bigger panels it's becoming less and less portable… I can't imagine putting this all in my backpack and walk several kilometers (although I did it once climbing 2600 m volcano only to end up using KX2 with small 30W chinese e-bay amp and 7.2 Ah battery - did not use FT-891 taken in case of on that activation at all - but this was the first and last time I packed 10kgs of ham radio gear on my back).
    KX2 alone with 3W out on FT8 was doing great job when on altitude or close to salt water with a range of several thousand miles using simple linked dipole or Alpha EZ military stick.

Possibly first limiting factor when portable will be the antenna itself and the choice of operating location. Second the antenna system of the station we are talking to. So I think I will stay downsized.
    I am currently on Reunion Island and was making easily lot of DX QSO on SSB/Phone mode on my FT-891 with 80W and a simple linked dipole on 8m fishing pole - when on altitude. (QSOs including Sweden and Finland). But others had beams at 20 m (...and often several hundred watts from amps BTW).
    When I remember 2 years ago I was really struggling to copy anybody pushing 500W into my Endfed dipole from QTH in France to contact anyone on Reunion, so in opposite direction.

73 Thomas

10. OH8STN

Hi Thomas
    Yeah I totally see where you're coming from. It's one perspective, but definitely not the only one. From my perspective, a fun afternoon of FT8 is different than effective communications. It's fun, but it's limited. Definitely good for its purpose. So we can agree a kx2, ft8, and a good antenna make an effective man-portable ft8 station.

The idea of the solar panels isn't purely about filling the logbook with FT8 contacts The solar powered field station concept is one with its focus on effective field communications with purpose. Just to be clear, I still go out on a 12km hike, with a small qrp radio, end fed half wave and raspberry pi to operate digi modes for fun. In that case I'll take my small 20w panels and 5ah lifepo4 pack. 8-10 hours of fun. Then there's the other side of amateur radio. The side which takes me out to the field for days/weeks at a time. The side where establishing and maintaining reliable Communications is the goal. In that scenario, a raspberry pi, ft891, 10-20ah LiFePO4, and a larger panel are acceptable. It all depends on what your amateur radio goals are.
    Another consideration is not just running radio gear with my portable power. Lights for my tent, charge my phone or tablet, ... theres no right or wrong way.
    Thanks for the comment Thomas
    Julian oh8stn

Attached Files:

11. F4HPX

Yes you're right.
    FT8 on QRP is fun and prefer to speak rather than click on the computer screen (unfortunately not yet CW proficient).
    The question remains what we define as reliable effective communications and especially in portable context.
    To stay days or weeks "independent" we need for sure more than just radio and a tent (to start by water & food/hunting skills).
    And depends is it survival case or emergency assistance in case of natural disasters.

Continue your work Julian. I am watching your videos with lot of interest and picked already some of your ideas or advices.

73 Thomas F4HPX, AG7JQ, 7X0TM (this one not QRV yet)

OH8STN likes this.
  12. KD7KL

KD7KL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been working with Military Folding panels for Field Ops and Emergency and Disaster Relief situations for over 25 years. Be aware that the Powerfilm folding solar panels are not 100% water proof. They state on their label “Keep Dry”. If you do not wipe them dry before you stow them the moisture can get into the lamination and delaminate the cells. I have several of their higher grade “Military” version fail because they where wet when they where folded and stowed for several months. For the price they are selling for you would want a waterproof panel.

Attached Files:

13. OH8STN

That's a point made in the video. The difference between the FM series (not totally waterproof) and the Rollable series (IP67). Also covered in the video is drying and care. Have havd gotten my folfing series wet, but just like drying out a tent or sleeping bag before stowing, this is also so for the folding series. The rollables are IP67 rated. They only need a wipe off after being soaked or submerged, but are not damaged by water in any way. Lots of good info like this in the video 20190516_173317.jpg .
    Julian oh8stn

14. F4HPX

Looks like much smaller than Powerfilm
    Where did you buy them ?

Thomas

N9YB likes this.
  15. KD7KL

KD7KL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My E mail is good on QRZ. send me an E mail and I’ll send you the info. They are made in the USA and are Military Standard 810D certified. It’s the only 810D ceritifed folding panel on the market and cost less dollar per watt than the Powerfilm.

DV2KBE likes this.