ad: wmr-1

K4D Dog Island IOTA DXpedition to NA085

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K5TEN, Apr 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5TEN

K5TEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I (K5TEN) will be activating NA085/ EL79 June 2nd thru June 13th as K4D. Dog Island is highly rare as the permanent residents of the island (25 beach houses) have decided they can bar tourists. In other words, if you don't have a contact you cant stay on the island. What makes this any different from a government entity barring people from the island?

Operations will be 40 thru 6 meters primarily on SSB and FT8 digital mode.

EL 79 is mostly salt water except for a small northern strip from Port St. Joe's to Carribbelle.

QSL VIA K5TEN, direct (SASE required) or via Bureau, LoTW, eQSL and ClubLog.

Paper cards are highly encouraged as IOTA requires paper cards.

2. K5TEN

We should be on the island around noon Monday, and set up and running by 3 PM EDST/2 PM Central. Concentrating on FT8, especially the ARRL JUNE VHF Contest next weekend.

3. K5TEN

I will also have a 3 element Yagi for the ARRL June VHF Contest activating EL79. Let's pray for VHF Propagation! :)

4. KD0NPT

KD0NPT Ham Member QRZ Page

The K4D Details tab shows Grid Square AA00aa which puts you in the middle of Antarctica, might want to fix that otherwise QRZ will have a mismatch for the QSL.~73

5. K0PV/SK2023

K0PV/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Right you are on the Maidenhead, but EL79 actually shows the island being in 10 different 6 digit grids so just EL79 does not actually pinpoint where you are. Plus as NPT has told you, QRZ info for ur GS shows AA00aa default which is in South Central Antarctica. For the GS hunters, this would be a mismatch and they would get no credit in QRZ for contact! Simple fix. Go to K4D page and edit manually to EL79. Tnx

6. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked last night, thanks for the QSO! Card will be in the mail shortly.

7. K5TEN

Kinda sucks that QRZ.com wont let me change the GRID to EL79. I input my lat/long and grid square but it keeps defaulting to AA00aa. QRZ.com needs to address that as it wont let me fix it. It kinda is a non-issue as I only upload to LoTW and eQSL.cc, not QRZ.com....it's on the information on my QRZ.com page.

THANK YOU all 600 of you and 59 countries for the fine reception on the bands!

See you next year!'

Bruce Brady
    K5TEN -- K4D Dog Island, FL