ad: k1jek

The Polar Explorer – A High-Efficiency Transmitter

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1KP, Apr 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8VHL

K8VHL Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The thrust of my post was marketing to the great majority of ham radio operators who, in all likelihood, would see very little added economic value in those four points. Just how much extra do you think that average ham would be willing to pay for those four benefits.

2. K8VHL

You're absolutely right about strapping on such an amplifier. Works great in the audio amplifier world. Not so much in the RF world.
    Wrong, he is pitching for investment or cash flow, depending on how you want to look at it, by trying to sell units for "beta testing".
    I was trying to look at the market viability of the proposed product in today's ham radio environment. I didn't see much of a future for it. You may arrive at a different conclusion.
    By the way, I am a home brewer but that has nothing to do with it unless you're suggesting the Polar Explorer will only appeal to home brewer and experimenter types, which further limits his market.

3. AB6RF

AB6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. Ability to get into 500W power class without updating old house wiring

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. AB6RF

AB6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don’t like it, fine. But nobody asked you to do half assed market analysis for him.

The Polar Explorer is technically really interesting idea, something truly new in HF transmitters in along time! I wanna hear more about it and see it become successful.

5. K8VHL

Re: 5. To borrow from your choice of language, that's a ridiculous "half assed" statement. The 600W AL-811's specs are 120 Vac at 8 amps max. You certainly don't need to update old house wiring for that. Let us know when you find out the actual specs for the Polar Explorer.
    AB6RF said,"If you don’t like it, fine. But nobody asked you to do half assed market analysis for him."
    It's not that I don't like it, he asked for input and I provided it.
    You're right it is a technically interesting idea and it has gained some traction in the audio amplifier world. Here are some abstracts relating to the RF applications. Email me if you would like the full articles.
    https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5516001
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...wer_amplifiers_with_RF_Pulse-Width_Modulation
    Here's a link to a little history and a good explanation in lay terms:
    http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/12_amps_6.html

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Four pages later of this thread and we still don't know how much measured power is required to make those 500 watts of output. At least I now know how my dentist felt when pulling a recalcitrant, impacted molar...

It's times like this when I really appreciate being a devout QRPer.

K8VHL likes this.
  7. K1KP

K1KP Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-6-1_9-13-59.png

Sorry for the delay...

8. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How accurate is the "Kill a watt" with regard to power factor?

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

WR2E likes this.
  10. WR2E

11. K1KP

K1KP Ham Member QRZ Page

PF = 0.75 at full output.

12. WR2E

So the VA shows about 950 W then?

13. K1KP

K1KP Ham Member QRZ Page

VA = 983.

WR2E likes this.
  14. WR2E

Yep... looks good.

723W AC in, true power, 500W RF out.

15. K8VHL

@K1KP - how about a status update please? Is the project still in "development" or has it been abandoned?