ad: M2Ant-1

Dayton Ohio Tornado - Hara Arena destroyed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9UR, May 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KE8WO

KE8WO Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night's tornados in the Dayton, Ohio area did very significant damage to the Hara Arena. The main areana in particular from what I saw on the TV report. It looks like it will accelerate its total demolition.

3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hara sustained major damage in Monday nite storms.

5. KE8WO

KE8WO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well good thing they moved hamvention out of there. They said it was the worst outbreak in the area since the '74 one wrecked Xenia. But have not seen any news of anything as far east as Xenia at all. Closest damage was Beavercreek? So the demolition crew saves some money for HARA is all.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm... don't see anything new-ly damaged....looks the same as when I saw it last in 2016.

;-)

The REAL question is why the heck the arena WAS STILL STANDING AT ALL.. it should have been LEVELED 3 years ago!

It was an eyesore waiting to be destroyed...if not by tornado then by gangs, vandals, copper stealers, and so on.

Its not a shame that it got hit....now someone will HAVE to do something about it rather than let it be a prop for some post- apocalyptical scifi movie...or abandoned shopping mall.

NOTICE the CAR dealership is UNTOUCHED. Really: do (some of you) atheists think that God doesn't know what HE is doing;-) ?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    KM1H, WQ4G and K0UO like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Xenia is AOK tornado-wise....

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

:-(

My house (in MA!) was damaged by an EF0 in 1999. My farm in KY was hit twice in the last 20 years. Cleared out the brush and Kudzu! Sent the wild turkeys flying to unimagined heights!

In all seriousness, there is nothing worse than getting hit by a tornado, and hearts out to victims of this outbreak..

Chip W1YW

10. W4KDN

W4KDN Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO and W1YW like this.
  11. AJ4G

AJ4G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have many memories at the hara arena, Hope they rebuild and bring back Dayton hamfest.

WA6MHZ likes this.
  12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Destroyed or damaged ?

13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Pretty much synonymous, in this case :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and W1YW like this.
  14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HARA will always be Dayton for me!! I attended back in the 1980s and again in the 2010-2015. I used my MICRO RV (Mazda GLC Hatchback) and would sleep in the parking lot. (of course that was in the early days before they got wise to such goings on.) I have yet to see Xenia, but remember it got wasted by a twister a long time ago.

I still have in my will to dispose of my Ashes after I am SK in the Flea Market area of Hara. But it will soon be all CONDOS now that the demolition has been started by Mudder Nature!

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

that area of the world is just too DANGEROUS!!! I had to dodge twisters every time I went too and from Dayton. the most significant was the year Joplin MO got wasted by a big one!! I saw that firsthand just after it happened on the way back! DARA needs to move it to a safe location (Like Vegas ) where there are no tornados!!