ad: elecraft

Help for daughter broken down in Hungary

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by G4SDM, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4SDM

G4SDM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not sure if this is a correct thing to post here but here goes...
    My daughter and her husband have broken down in Tatabanya JN97fn - sounds like a con rod :oops:
    They are having trouble with the language barrier. So looking for an intro to any Hungarian hams anybody knows in that area who might be willing to help
    Steve
    G4SDM

2. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you looking for an interpreter or financial assistance? The town's web site translates to English and many government officials speak English. Any police station will have an English speaker. Good luck.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like the scam email I got "from my sister". Hope I'm wrong but do not get taken. :(

4. K8VHL

Nah, just a poor guy who's family has motor vehicle problems. Look up his post from Sept 2018 when his VW bus broke down in Spain. Very entertaining story.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this seemed very familiar. Odd though.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm curious - why not post in a more "general interest" place like Facebook? Are hams the only folks that could conceivably help out?

What about local authorities/services in Hungary? It's not exactly a 3rd world place - shouldn't be hard to find local help...

Just curious is all. Odd to see this in QRZ "General Announcements" with no ham radio content other than "any Hungarian hams"

Dave
    W7UUU

K8VHL likes this.
  7. G4SDM

G4SDM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All
    Thank you for the replies. It definitely was not as scam. I can understand the suspicions, although I am at a bit of a loss as to how my post could be twisted into a scam? BUT there are some pretty devious scammers out there.
    As AJ4GQ says; it was I who was looking for local help when I broke down in Spain last year:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/a-request-for-help-from-spain.627818/
    This time I was hoping I might track down a ham local to where my daughter was who could possibly help, more with translation - maybe simply at the end of a phone - no joy this time although there do appear to be quite a few HA’s close to where they stranded.
    Daughter was not planning on having it their VW in Bulgaria. The first plan was to get the vehicle back to Spain which is where the engine - it’s a rebuilt unit - was fitted last year and both the garage that fitted it and the engineers that rebuilt it have said they will honour the warranty.
    BUT, after much messing about, their breakdown insurers refused to move it to Spain and would only move it to the UK; it’s currently on a trailer somewhere between Hungary and my QTH. Daughter and Husband arrive back at Gatwick tomorrow afternoon.
    Why post here?
    Well I did say I was not sure it was the right place - I apologise if I posted in the wrong forum.
    What I do know is; when I post something like this I do it in the knowledge that, if the situation were reversed and a fellow ham or a member of their family reached out to me through QRZ I would have little hesitation in assisting. Although, reverting back to my opening para above and KJ4VTH’s comments I might check a few facts first!
    Best 73’s and thank you again for the responses.

KG7E likes this.
  8. K8VHL

Glad things worked out reasonably well and please excuse us for doubting you. We've only been here in the Colonies for a few hundred years and have not become fully civilized . . yet.

WR2E likes this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the update! Like I said, hope I’m wrong, and happy I was in your case.

But “my sister” did send me an email describing how she broke down in some foreign city (she does live overseas) and she needed money to pay some bills. The tip-off was the funds were to be sent to some other unknown address. And my real sister never was at that address.

WB5THT likes this.
  10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was broke down n hungry a few weeks ago.
    Fortunately it was in the parking lot of Subway..
    45 minutes & a $90 tow job later, I was home eating my sandwich.

KM1H, K0UO and WB5THT like this.
  11. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the language barrier?:D:D:D:D

12. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

They have pictures of the breads, and my pointing finger works...
    For everything else, There's Mastercard
    Ymmv

W7UUU and WJ4U like this.
  13. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"con rod" or con job?

14. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, there are so many scams, telemarketers, schemes, that one simply must be doubtful of almost anything these days. Our phones ring constantly with "phishing" scams, and the evening news is filled with reports of those who have been bilked of even thousands of pounds/dollars. I got one the other day from my OWN phone number. You *KNOW* that's a scam.