ad: ProAudio-1

EQUINOX Blends Science Fiction And Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4ECW, May 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am only partially through the book and I will be a critic. Since I downloaded this book I was nearly late for work. I only got a few hours of sleep and have been oiling my small collection of defensive tools. Yes, if you have the digital version there appears to be spacing errors. Having read MANY digital books, to include college texts, when the printed word is sent to a Kindle the spacing is ALWAYS messed up. Go download the Army's Sniper manual, you will believe Equinox is letter perfect. Poor Man's James Bond? DON'T DOWNLOAD THAT!!! Waste of money on digital. Last but not least, if you haven't published a book or an article hold your critiques. There will always be the trolls that will complain about a book or a youtube video about amateur radio but have NEVER tried it themselves. Mr. Dennis, I haven't finished the book but e-mail me when the sequel or spin off comes out.

N4ECW likes this.
  2. N9AXL

N9AXL Ham Member QRZ Page

In the next book I think the FCC commissioner should be mind controlled by the locusts -- then he can proceed to fix issues with incentive licensing, HOAs, and the ARRL Band Plan.

KE5ES and N4ECW like this.
  3. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just downloaded the book. I like post apocalyptic books and many have ham radio operators featured in them.

N4ECW likes this.
  4. KE5ES

I just finished the book. For those that are stuck on typos, to bad your mind can read it. I had a problem with the rank handed out willy nilly until I remembered history. During two wars Americans formed militias and gave themselves the corresponding rank or were given the corresponding rank befit the number of troops they recruited and mobilized with. Overall I liked the book after remembering that history can repeat itself. A question for those that may question this post: Which would you choose? Live free or die fighting OR flee and always wonder what Bravery would feel like.

N4ECW likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee whiz--

At least we are READING: That's become rare enough these days!

KM6KIZ, AD5HR, N4ECW and 2 others like this.
  6. N5VAF

Well as a veteran, and a bit of a loose cannon,hihi, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

KE5ES, W1YW and N4ECW like this.
  7. N5VAF

I just finished the book it was ok. I read a lot of post apocalyptic survival books. The XYL calls my obsession with those books wishful thinking...She's right!

N4ECW likes this.
  8. KE5ES

Don't be stealing my life!! You sound just like me and your XYL sounds like mine. LOL!! 22 years Army/Army Reserve with deployments to Bosnia, Kosovo, and Iraq (2). The post apocalyptic books are not fiction. They are just non-religious prophesy. Prepare for the worst and if it doesn't come you have a couple of years of freeze dried food for the grand kids.

N4ECW and N5VAF like this.
  9. N5VAF

Exactly!

N4ECW likes this.
  10. KE8HSF

KE8HSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought if for the kindle, read it, liked it. Just would have loved in the epilogue for us to know what exactly happened to the remaining Locusts forces, were they exterminated, did they return home, imprisoned under heavy guard, etc...

N5VAF, N4ECW and W1YW like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Spoiler!

;-)

PY2NEA and N4ECW like this.
  12. KM6KIZ

KM6KIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoyed the book. It had the air of a B movie which is my favorite kind. Heroes, tough talk, Red White, and Blue thinking....I will read more.

N4ECW likes this.
  13. KX2L

KX2L Ham Member QRZ Page

As a ham who has read thousands and thousands of science fiction books and dozens of amateur radio books I am going to give a honest critical review of the book EQUINOX. I downloaded it onto my kindle from Amazon kindle unlimited. First off I gave EQUINOX 4 stars. It is well above average, a good fast paced enjoyable read and worth buying. I read it in two days. It is NOT a blockbuster 5 star science fiction blended amateur radio book. However, DM Barrett has blended science fiction and amateur radio well. Funny "Spark Gap/CW" slight blunder. There was a problem with the book. It was either sloppy proof reading or irregularities with the kindle download. An estimated twenty times words were broken up or thrown together. This was only a very minor irritation and I was able to glace over and know exactly what was being said. In conclusion buy the book. Its a good read but don't expect a 5 stars science fiction masterpiece.

KM6KIZ, K2NCC and N4ECW like this.
  14. AE4O

AE4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Both of those issues are addressed earlier in the thread.

15. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Independence Day saw cw back in use to keep the Aliens in the dark! Know the code!