ad: Radclub22-1

Contests - and no keyers

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KB7AK, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The last time I seriously attended a CW contest, everything was done by hand, computers weren't even remotely thinkable of participating in a contest (and I am not that old, I am talking about contests 30+ years ago).

I listened to a few CW contests recently, and the accuracy of Morse code is, you know, amazing.

I get it that nobody uses Morse keyers anymore, but what is everyone using?

I looked at some of the pictures in the most recent CQ magazine about the RW0A station, and all the operators are using is a keyboard. I am not condemning it, I am just curious as to what software is being used.

2. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the memory keyer built in to my FTdx-3000 for regular calls and 599 XXX exchanges - when you get to more complex contests with seral numbers etc. I use the keyer. On thing about the DX stations using keyers is its easy to decode when they are ripping along at 35+ WPM, anything over 25 wpm becomes increasingly difficult for me other than call letters , 5NN and TU....

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For contest use and some DX, check out N1MM. Totally free. I use it for SSB, RTTY and CW contesting.

4. KB7AK

Thank you both. I have used N1MM+ for RTTY contesting, and for that part I use the integration with MMTTY. Is there similar integration with a product for CW?

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought cheating in a contest disqualified you.

To bad CQ Contest has become a big joke.

K5VZD likes this.
  6. WG7X

No. Just change the mode to CW in the call sign window. If the contest is dual mode it will change. Assuming that you have the radio interface already worked out, nothing more needs to be done. If the contest is a CW only one, just select the contest and N1MM will do the rest. Then check your macros to ensure that you have the proper exchange.

I think the process is basically the same when using N1MM in the "DX mode". I don't use it for that. I prefer using the abilities built into my radio for casual DX.

7. WG7X

Can you elaborate on those two statements a bit?

Is using contest logging software cheating? Or are you saying that keyers/ station automation for CW are cheating?

What is the big joke? Just saying that means nothing that I can figure out. Yeah, CQ magazine, the one time sponsor of various CQ contests is a sad situation, but they are mostly just sponsors in name only. Other folks have stepped into the vacancy left by CQ magazines inability to sponsor and run those contests.

N1VAU, WA7PRC and K3XR like this.
  8. KA9JLM

You have never heard the broken record on the air ?

CQ Contest CQ Contest UR 59
    CQ Contest CQ Contest UR 59 Please repeat your call, I can barely hear you. :rolleyes:

K5VZD likes this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, please!
    Not THIS again! :(

WA7PRC, AG5DB and WG7X like this.
  10. KA9JLM

It is what it is.

You can not change the facts. Only artifacts can be modified. o_O

K5VZD likes this.
  11. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dabble around in CW contests, usually just to hand out some points and maybe get lucky and work a station that's a new one for me on a particular band.

The one contest I take semi-seriously I DO use my computer to send the CW. I have the exchanges programmed using function keys. Otherwise I have no idea how I would get them all logged while still keeping up a good rate. I type the other station's call into the log program and all the info is filled in and after the exchange is complete, I hit enter.

If I had four arms and four hands I might do it differently :p

WG7X likes this.
  12. K7GQ

K7GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're a PC person, N1MM is the current favorite (Skookumlogger for Mac). Sending CW can be done through the LPT port or (more common) a Winkeyer from K1EL. Normally, the keyboard you saw is used to perform logging as the software sends the entire contest exchange. Once you've used this level of automation in a CW contest, you'll wonder why it took you so long!

13. KB7AK

Thank you Bob, your response resonates well with me, because that's how I look at these contests as well. A good 35 years ago, there was one pseron on the paddle, and two persons logging the call signs and exchanges. What software do you use if I may ask.

14. KB7AK

Thanks Harry, I have been thinking about the WinKeyer unit.

15. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

we need separation for actual cw operators during contests .. using straight keys,bugs, or sending keyers only, No receive programs!! to be fair to the real hams as opposed to the the guys who don't even know the code... just plain not fair Yes This AGAIN!!!!!

K7NDE and WN1MB like this.