ad: Flexradio-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did.

The online database shows no articles of any kind by anyone named "Bendixen". Nor any SSB transmitters using the an LM or BC-221 freqmeter as a VFO. (The LM-13 and BC-221 are quite different, btw).

The ARRL Staff was pretty good at weeding out schematic errors, too. Not that there were never any mistakes, just that they found most of them.

It gets better....

In your QRZ page, you say that you were first licensed in 2008. Yet in the above story, you say you "had an Elmer for novice!"....but the Novice license stopped being issued in April 2000.

So....was there really a "Billy Bendixen"?

Such as who?

N6UOW, W1BR, WU8Y and 2 others like this.
  2. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 50s the ARRL had a full technical department. Every technical article passed over at least six editorial desks for peer review. If an error made it to publication, you can bet it would have been spotted by several readers and a Stray would have been included in a future issue. So, what was Billy Bendixen's call sign?

WA1LBK and N2EY like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect there never was a Billy Bendixen.

The online database shows no articles of any kind by anyone named "Bendixen". Nor any SSB transmitters using the LM or BC-221 freqmeter as a VFO. (The LM-13 and BC-221 are quite different, of course). Zero, zip, nil, nada.

I have every QST from the mid-1920s to the present, and have read every single one. I'd remember an SSB transmitter that used a surplus frequency meter as a VFO. (There were a couple of articles about using such a meter as a VFO, however - to feed an AM/CW transmitter.)

Sometimes mistakes got through the process - but then there were corrections printed.

73 de Jim N2EY

WA1LBK and W1BR like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one for awhile from a hamfest buy. No documentation and too rough to try to restore so I soon sold it.

There were a few TX featured in QST and elsewhere, plus commercial products that used a BC-457/458 or similar WW2 TX as a VFO for a SSB TX.

No one has a perfect memory as you have pointed out in the past.

Carl

5. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

LETS ALL HOPE SO TALK IS CHEAP, BUT WALK THE TALK JUST SAYING, NO DISRESPECT. BELEAVE ME THIERS ALOT OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE CHANGED ON THIS SUBJECT THATS ALL IAM GOING TO SAY THIERS ALLOT OF MONEY COMING OUT OF THIER ONE THING CLEAN UP THE 40 METER BAND IAM DONE HERE.

6. N1SCA

:confused::eek::mad::oops::( ORG. NON PROFET LOL:D

N4AWP likes this.
  7. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Voted with my feet. Now onto the next adventure Ted...!

ND6M and N1SCA like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I agree with you on that, but, just how is the arrl supposed to do that? And by what authority?..... QSY the scheduled code practice to 7.200?

WA1LBK, N1SCA and AF7XT like this.
  9. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GEEZ- is this another one of those "he said -she said".. Back in 1970??? Just like the Kavanaugh non-sense that was never proven?
    Your choice to drop ARRL- but something that was to happen 40+years ago I mean seriously.

KA0HCP and WU8Y like this.
  10. N1SCA

owell we all pay taxes, I think they should also pay like we do. they make a lot of reviue they got a aution cites was well come on, some one is making out. they brag they got this and that and such, all about politics. the founder is rolling in his crave at this point. yes it is my choice to drop them so be it it just sickens me how things are today. and the fcc don't even clean the air waves they don't even care. hosingworth should be back in office . he would clean up the garbage on the air seems like the bands are turning into the cb days, and aarl don't even care its sad and the fcc don't even do anything on the 40 meterband used to be my fav. band to operate you got drunks and dirty mouths on their and just think of this thiers little ears are listening little kids that have their tickets. real shame. its a free for all on the bands lately. that's my thought. arrl wake up clean up your ways its not about radio nomore its on what to buy and spend on stuff that costs as much as a car or a house down payment. clean up the hf radio spectrum aarl work on giving more band with its getting crowded that would be money well spent on. the bppl thing never happened now we got so much noise on the bands spend it on something we need. iam done with them useless org lol.

11. N1SCA

not to mention they get a cut on the big shot radio companys, to advertise in the mag.

12. N1SCA

13. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have followed the ARRL and ham radio for many years. I was a member for awhile... then let my license lapse, and got out of the hobby. When I returned, after I retired, I got a real slap in the face, when I realized that the ARRL decided to cancel the senior discounted membership! I know why they did it, but that is not my problem! So if you want me to re-join, you better bring back the senior discount!

N4AWP likes this.
  14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps they should just cancel all the Life memberships that don't pay anything.

Why should annual subscribers have to subsidize them? [​IMG]

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Annual "subscribers" do not "subsidize" Life Members.

Life Membership is $1,225. Divide that by $49 annual dues rate. That's a pre-payment of 25 years (!) worth of current dues, my friend. A properly invested 25 year pre-payment more than covers the future cost of servicing a Life Member - otherwise it wouldn't be offered.

K2AMF likes this.