ad: Sussex-1

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KT4U

KT4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I asked via e-mail to qrz and my reply was,
    We follow the .ADIF standards and we are waiting for them to make a decision about
    whether it will be listed as a mode or a "submode."  I know it
    sounds like splitting hairs but we need to know this in order for our system to
    interface with LOTW and other logging programs.</p>
    I know in Italy it is in their qrz log mode because I have some waiting to confirm and their page has it listed.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks...FT4 does not exist as far as the ADIF protocol is concerned. Any serious website will follow the ADIF protocol for logging.

The mode may not even become permanent. It's a test. Once the final production release of WSJT-X is available, then the ADIF commitee will add the mode for sure.

Not only this, but give other developers some time to catch up. Some people are already hounding the JTAlert and JTDX developers. They had no advanced access to the FT4 code, and even if they had, K1JT asks that others wait for the final version, a sensible request.

You contacts are not going anywhere. Go take a tranquilizer and relax.:D

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    IU3EEN, W4HM and ND6M like this.
  3. KT4U

No tranquilizer needed here, just curious if why some have the option and some don't.

4. VA3VF

Each webmaster, logging software developer, etc. is free to do whatever they want with their 'product'. It may also be a 'side effect' of how the software/webpage works. For example: DX Keeper does not have FT4 available as a mode, it has not been updated yet, but it imported the mode fine from the WSJT-X ADI file.

The point is, why hurry when it's not known yet whether the mode will survive or not. The beauty about standards is that there so many to choose from. I prefer we 'stick' with the ADI Protocol, and wait for the ADI Committee to do its job.

Even if only a name change happens, it would be a significant inconvenience. It has happened already, FT8Call became JS8Call. JT10 became T10.

Just as a thought experiment: What if every site and/or software developer added FT4 to their 'products', and the FT4 developers decided to change the mode name?

No good deed goes unpunished in this hobby.:D

By the way, JTAlert is now supporting basic FT4 functions. I'm monitoring to see how long before somebody says "why bother if it's not fully compatible?":rolleyes:

The discussion is also happening in the JTDX list. My suggestion there was that if FT4 is confirmed as a contesting only mode, JTDX should not add it to its list of available modes. The main reason being, it'll likely be added to N1MM by way of a special module, just like MMTTY, MMVARI, FLDIGI, etc. have been. This, the special module idea for N1MM, is from K1JT himself.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. KT4U

Initially I thought I was doing something wrong logging after seeing a couple Italian stations using FT-4 as a mode. Thanks for clearing it up. 73

6. IK5JRZ

IK5JRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for answer,
    yes I'v upload correctly with adif file.

7. WB9JRO

WB9JRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, ft8 is probably 80% of all communications. I miss the old days of an actual rag chew.

8. 2E0BJL

2E0BJL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi guys i'm using ft4 in 20 mt at 14.080 anyone knows what another freq. I can use it like 17 mt and 2mt?
    kind regards

9. VA3VF

Did you try the frequencies in the pulldown menu? If they don't show up, right click on the frequency table, and click reset.

If they still don't show up, the .INI file needs to be deleted. Please note this means re-configuring WSJT-X from scratch.

That said, and propagation may be part of it, the number of signals seems to have gone down.

10. 2E0BJL

ok, thanks for the info but i saw somewhere in 17 is about 10.140 is that correct ?

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

What's stopping you? Get on 75m any evening and call CQ and yak with someone. Or 20m any afternoon. Or 7112 CW....

I do these things nightly on my Eico 753, Henry Radio Tempo One, or Globe Scout 680 with HQ-180 and neither FT4 nor FT8 impedes me in any way whatsoever from having nice contacts.

FT modes are NOT the "death of amateur radio" - I really get tired of that endless mantra.

Dave
    W7UUU

VE3BXG, KC1DR, WU8Y and 3 others like this.
  12. VA3VF

I don't have WSJT-X installed right now, as my FT4 testing is complete. The spots on Hamspots show the following (+/-):

13. 2E0BJL

Perfect i just fix it. Anyway I very loved ft4 much better respect ft8

14. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you look @ his QRZ home page?

The "old days" don't seem to be very long ago.
    YMMV

15. WB9JRO

WB9JRO Ham Member QRZ Page

We do, but everyone is crammed into the ft8 areas....